Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

messing around in the shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: messing around in the shop Reply with quote

Over the years, I've collected a good number of lenses. It's hard sometimes to get rid of things, even when they're quite profoundly broken. This was the case with a Tokina AF zoom lens for the nikon mount. It was a 100-300mm F5.6-6.3 lens that had come my way in a box of other broken lenses.

The front barrel section was completely broken off from the rest of the mechanisms in the lens. The other day, I started thinking to myself that I'd like a lightweight lens to take with me for taking photos of flowers and such. (not that I don't have other candidates, but I'm an inveterate tinkerer)

What I ended up doing was essentially gutting the entire lens and using just the front element, the mount, about 1/3 of the rear barrel, and the plastic helicoid. I added some epoxy, a couple of O-rings, and some elbow grease. I had gotten the idea from looking at an old Sima soft focus lens, single element with a push-pull focus.

I'm happy with the results of my shop time. I find the bokeh to be nice and creamy, and while still slightly soft-focus, it's doesn't make me feel like I've just gotten chlorine in my eyes the way the Sima does. And with the multi-coated single element, it renders colors more accurately.

I apologize for the lack of artistic quality in the images. I had just finished getting things fitted, and wanted to see if it would take a picture.

Photo from the Sima lens:

photo from my shop build lens:

and a 100% crop:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Very interesting, and great results from a single-element lens!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all. Doncha just love it when an unpredictable project works out better than expected?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was very pleased with it.

Here's another one from the other day:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, can you show a panorama picture with one of those?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture of Frankensteins monster please. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me correct a mistake I'd made earlier, I said I only used the front element, and what I should have said was the "front group". There are two elements in the group.

Franken-lens:

On a Nikon:

I'll upload later some photos taken earlier today with the lens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks quite clean for a franken-lens. I was sort of expecting large amounts of ducttape and such Smile .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was pleased with how clean it looked as well, not perfect in good light or from every angle, but not so ugly that it will make children cry either Wink

And some more samples:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a 100% crop of the first image from above:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a couple more from yesterday's time at the garden.

The subject of the next one isn't great, but it shows the kinda of otherworldly effect in all of the out of focus areas:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I too was expecting duct tape and such.
It really has a faerie land look to it.
I look forward to more portraits with it.