Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Md to Eos Thin adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Md to Eos Thin adapter Reply with quote

Hello folks , anybody using Md to eos thin adapter

I intend to use my Md mount lenses with a EF lens turbo ( yes , i will buy the ef lens turbo as i have Nikon and m42 lenses ) , and want to know how far can one get focus with this thin adapter!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focal flange distance of MD is 0,5mm lower than EOS. This sounds less, but for reaching infinity it is a big distance. I would guess that you only will reach about 5-10 meters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and adding that 0.5mm plus the thickness of adapter gives a thickness of at least 1mm, probably more like 1.5mm....i.e., like a 1.5mm extension tube.

wide angle lenses will focus relatively closer than telephoto lenses, i.e., wide angle lens may be unable to focus at all...

somebody with direct experience please verify?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm ~3 meters
85mm ~9 meters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pity it wont focus on infinity. This is what the seller of this ( Click here to see on Ebay )has to say about his product:

big_is camera wrote:
Very thin, with focal length 200mm or above lenses, support focus infinity, and with 50mm lenses on full frame camera such as 5D, focus distance is about 5-6 meters, and with 75mm or 85mm portrait lenses, focus distance is further which is about 10 meters, enough for portrait shooting,

But still better than the original type.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one!! But barely test it... When received the adapter the only lens I have to try it was a faulty (focus problem: 1 mt max) lens MC ROKKOR 2.5/100mm. I could NOT use at all that lens on 5d2.
After I do put the adapter on the box and never remember it again until now... Shocked

I do believe it can add some usage on lenses over 85mm.
I had in mind use it with 1.7/85mm 2.0/100mm and 2.8/200mm, however I consider the adapter somewhat on fragile side and refrain to use it with heavy lenses...

visualopsins wrote:
...and adding that 0.5mm plus the thickness of adapter gives a thickness of at least 1mm, probably more like 1.5mm....i.e., like a 1.5mm extension tube.

wide angle lenses will focus relatively closer than telephoto lenses, i.e., wide angle lens may be unable to focus at all...

somebody with direct experience please verify?

From what i do remember when use it , this adapter is "merged" into SR-mount and I do believe it DOES NOT ADD any thickness on the original minolta bayonet.......
Maybe I cannot describe in the best way but it is like you have implanted the eos bayonet on sr-mount....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also waiting the delivery of EF Speed booster, so after arrive I can test how it work with minolta lenses...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have seen what the seller has said but cant the infinty adjustment of the lens be used to get to infinity?? in addition to that i believe the focal reducer tube is built a little short so that all lenses can reach beyond infinty , that waht happens with normal nex adapters , can anyone elaborate on this please !!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raay04 wrote:
well i have seen what the seller has said but cant the infinty adjustment of the lens be used to get to infinity?? ...

depends on lens -- how close rear element gets to mirror...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lens doesn't reach infinity on an EF body, it won't reach infinity on a speed booster even if the speed booster adapter is thinner because of the optics in the booster, it basically takes the "focused" image and shrinks it to fit the smaller sensor, which concentrates the light making the lens appear wider and faster.
You MAY be able to adjust infinity enough to reach infinity on a Canon, there may be mirror issues with wide lenses, and on the speed booster the same issue could happen with the boosters optics, so you've been warned.
Be sure to make note where the lenses infinity point is so when you sell the lens, you can return it to normal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD mount has an FFD about a quarter of a millimetre shorter than Canon EOS. The rear of the MD lens is the thing stopping it going completely to infinity. There is also the Canon locking pin.

here is a picture of a Minolta lens placed on a Canon camera. Holding the lens to the camera at full aperture I can't get focus confirm on infinity but f8 does it.

If the adapter has any type of flange holding the Minolta lens away from the body you are unlucky.

About focal reducers being short. This is only because the optics inside change the FFD a little. Mine still focuses on infinity not past it. I have a Zhong Yi version 1