Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya medium format lenses on a EOS? which ones?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Mamiya medium format lenses on a EOS? which ones? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I'm a college student looking to do cool stuff with my photography. My latest interest is cheap manual lenses for my 1D MkIII.
A local portraitist is digging through her old boxes to find her old Mamiya medium format stuff that she's never going to use again.
there is definitely a camera, and a few lenses, but her memory for lens names is...notgreat....

So I was wondering if anyone could help me with any lenses I should jump on, avoid, pay a lot for (a lot for me is $100), should I really stretch to buy something for $400 that I could resell for more? Should I get the camera too?

If she asks $20 per item, I'm getting it...but I just want to be a little better-informed and I've only got a few days to research....

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya medium format lenses on a EOS? which ones? Reply with quote

saabstorey wrote:
Hi everyone!
I'm a college student looking to do cool stuff with my photography.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum. Mamiya has an extensive line of lenses and it is difficult to answer your question concerning their value without knowing exactly which ones she may be offering. But assuming the most common, a 645 body and 80mm f2.8, if in working condition, then $100 dollars would be a good deal for you. I would suggest buying some 120 film, a Patterson developing tank, some instant coffee, vitamin C crystals, and washing soda, and developing these large negatives. If you have a decent macro lens for your Canon, you could shoot the negs (instead of scanning). This would put you into the realm of "cool stuff". Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, yes that would....hmmmm
Thanks for the welcome, this seems like a pretty cool site! I rented Canon's 100mm Macro IS for a biology trip to Madagascar....holy cow is that a nice lens...I just can't drop a grand to have one of my own yet....
http://jstorey.smugmug.com/Nature/South-Africa-and-Madagascar/18873982_ZxZF8s#1463069673_kpbk3K7

sadly though, I know nothing useful about developing film, do you know a good resource for learning? I was sort of accepting of the fact that I'd need to send film off to be developed, and use the slide scanner at the college, and an adapter for the lenses on my DSLR.
-Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site, in the "Darkroom" section of the forum page, will answer any question (or lead you to a pertinent link) for developing film. It isn't difficult, and the start-up costs would be less than $100. Youtube has quite a few tutorials. But if you have time to read through the posts in the forum you can get enough information about different films and processes. You may wish to check with your school; perhaps the professor who teaches photography, and find out what their darkroom arrangements may be. Things could be gathering dust, and the chemicals might be at your disposal to use as you desire. Write back when you find out what camera, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I definitely will write you back when I find out details. My professor abandoned film completely when Canon came out with their first stabilized lens. There is another photography prof, but he's not so friendly, but I'll see what I can do.
I'm going to head over to the Darkroom section now....
thanks so much!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80mm f2.8 N is the best M645 lens I know of, in terms of optical quality. Avoid the 45mm f2.8 N if you can...Its soft.
Of course, you will need an M645-EF adapter as well so you will need to factor that into the cost.
I used my M645 lenses on Sigma DSLR's, which share the same 44mm reg distance with Canon EF, and I made my own M645-SA adapter with a Mamiya M645 number 1 extension ring, an SA mounting plate and a 2mm thick plastic spacer shim. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this isn't too far OT, but I have had the hardest time finding the approximate crop factors for medium format lenses on full frame and APS-C SLRs. Does anyone know?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abe in space wrote:
I hope this isn't too far OT, but I have had the hardest time finding the approximate crop factors for medium format lenses on full frame and APS-C SLRs. Does anyone know?

The crop factor refers to the sensor not the lens. So for example, the Vega 12 90mm f/2.8, made for medium format, and the Tamron 90 mm f/2.5, made for full frame, both give the same angle of view on a full frame camera, and the same, but different, angle of view on APS-C. The ratio of the linear dimensions of a full frame sensor (which Nikon call FX) to the dimensions of an Nikon APS-C sensor (DX) is ~ 1.5. This is the crop factor. So 90 mm lens on DX will give the same angle of view as a 135 mm (=90 mm x 1.5) lens on FX. Canon APS-C sensors are slightly smaller and the crop factor is ~ 1.6.

Comparing medium format and full frame is slightly tricky because they have different aspect ratios. So the Penton Six has a 1:1 aspect ratio - 60 mm x 60 mm. The diagonal is ~ 85 mm. If we compare this with the diagonal of a full frame sensor ( ~ 43 mm) then the crop factor becomes 43/85 ~ 0.5. So a 90 mm lens on a medium format 6 x 6 camera has a diagonal field of view equivalent to that of a 45 mm (90 mm x 0.5) lens on full frame.

Note that comparing horizontal and vertical dimensions will give different answers.

Also the dimensions of Pentacon 6 image are sometimes quoted as 56 x 56 mm - to allow for film margins.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya medium format lenses on a EOS? which ones? Reply with quote

saabstorey wrote:
Hi everyone!
I'm a college student looking to do cool stuff with my photography. My latest interest is cheap manual lenses for my 1D MkIII.
A local portraitist is digging through her old boxes to find her old Mamiya medium format stuff that she's never going to use again.
there is definitely a camera, and a few lenses, but her memory for lens names is...notgreat....

So I was wondering if anyone could help me with any lenses I should jump on, avoid, pay a lot for (a lot for me is $100), should I really stretch to buy something for $400 that I could resell for more? Should I get the camera too?

If she asks $20 per item, I'm getting it...but I just want to be a little better-informed and I've only got a few days to research....

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

1. Buy the body too. It's a great and economic way to find out about MF photography. Makes you think about what you're framing.
2. If all she wants is $20 per item, my advice is that you kiss her hand, give her the money, then take her out to dinner for doing you great kindness.
3. I've got a 645 lens to EOS adapter coming so we can compare notes.
4. Search EBay for Mamiya 645, completed listings and see what sells for what.