Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

mamiya macro A 1:4 120mm tethered on a canon DSLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: mamiya macro A 1:4 120mm tethered on a canon DSLR Reply with quote

wanted to try this lens for coin photography. it has a large working distance. from the end of the lens to the coin. making it very easy to light the coin. the lens is not easy to focus when magnified for final focus. but the lens does a very good job with coins.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: mamiya macro A 1:4 120mm Reply with quote

mounted on a canon dslr tethered. i used one ottlite . i used a micro focus stand. to do final focus. no photo editing just a 100% crop of the photo. to show detail, depth of field. this is also a very sharp lens. a little difficult to focus. but one its set. this is and outstanding coin macros lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great detail. I've never done any coin macro. It seems most of the common macro problems would likely not be an issue, once you have it set up. Narrow depth of field shouldn't cause issue with most coins. Vignetting also not an issue and a non moving item in a studio setting. Intrinsic sharpness of the lens though could be limiting factor and you seem to have solved that problem with this lens!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you jamaeolus . the big problem is lighting the coins. i was trying to find away. to overcome the hotspots created by lighting. its funny but it works. the province where i live there is this ice-cream company. they have these big ice cream parlors. one day not long ago i was in one. they was changing the ice cream buckets. i asked could i have one of those buckets. the owner asked me what for. so i told him what i was doing. how hard it is to photograph coins. because of the light issue. he said sure let me know how you made out. well let me tell you. i aim the lamps into the bucket. reflect the lights back unto the coins. no more hotspot i can light a coin perfectly every time. i am waiting for a stepup filter ring so i can mount the cut off ice cream bucket to the camera lens. i went back showed the own of the ice cream parlor my photos. he said please can i have these photos i said sure. he told me people are amazed by the quality of the photographs. he said its because of my ice cream buckets. i laughed i said you are right.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya macro 120/4 does flowers too

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockycarter wrote:
thank you jamaeolus . the big problem is lighting the coins. i was trying to find away. to overcome the hotspots created by lighting. its funny but it works. the province where i live there is this ice-cream company. they have these big ice cream parlors. one day not long ago i was in one. they was changing the ice cream buckets. i asked could i have one of those buckets. the owner asked me what for. so i told him what i was doing. how hard it is to photograph coins. because of the light issue. he said sure let me know how you made out. well let me tell you. i aim the lamps into the bucket. reflect the lights back unto the coins. no more hotspot i can light a coin perfectly every time. i am waiting for a stepup filter ring so i can mount the cut off ice cream bucket to the camera lens. i went back showed the own of the ice cream parlor my photos. he said please can i have these photos i said sure. he told me people are amazed by the quality of the photographs. he said its because of my ice cream buckets. i laughed i said you are right.

Great story. Lighting for macro can be quite challenging. I haven't got it down yet. I got some brutal C & C in my post of photos in the Canon FD 200mm F4 macro thread. You sure seem to have pegged it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I haven't been able to use mine with my dslr as I have the af fit version which will not mount to my fotodiox adapter. It's still a manual focus lens but the aperture is electronically controlled so not sure how useful it would be anyway. I'll have to stick with using it on my 645AFD.