Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya 645 lens questions and observations. Build quality.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:03 am    Post subject: Mamiya 645 lens questions and observations. Build quality. Reply with quote

I've started acquiring MF Sekor lenses for Mamiya 645. I've read countless threads and have picked up a couple lenses so far and have more on the way.

The C vs C N debate: I understand that the N lenses are newer and have different coatings. The C lenses are more robust and heavier. The newer lenses are said to have more plastic parts. I have in front of me a 55/2.8 C N and a 80/2.8 C N. The 80 was clearly Mamiya's budget standard lens. I've read complaints that the newer lenses have a plastic lens barrel that can crack. The 80/2.8 C N I have has a plastic barrel, but the 55/2.8 clearly has a metal lens barrel. So do other lenses besides the 80/2.8 have plastic lens barrels or just that focal length? They both have plastic control rings, which doesn't really bother me.

Focus is surprisingly smooth and light on both with a short focus throw. These are nice little lenses.

Are the pre-N lenses similar in handling? I plan to buy an 80/1.9 which is a little pricier lately. Should I consider the non-N version if build quality is a concern? I intend to use these for video, so smooth focus is a higher priority than contrast.

Next purchases are the 35, 110, 150 A, and 200 APO. But I'm trying to decide (besides the 150 and 200) if I should focus on C lenses or N.

Also, is that earlier 70/2.8 worth picking up?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-645-c-35mm-f3-5-haze-inside-the-lens-t84981.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several C lenses, and I’m terms of handling they are as good as it gets IMO. Very precise focusing with the right resistance, very good aperture control as well. Also, I had my C 105-210/4.5 adjusted for infinity by my local camera guy, and he was impressed by its build quality (and optics).

My experience is with the 210/4, 300/5.6, 105-210/4.5, and 120/4 macro. All of them are excellent IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about twenty Mamiya Sekor C and CN lenses, and two of them both as C and CN: The 2.8/45mm and the 5.6/300mm. Apart from the focusing rubber I can't see any differences. Focusing on both CN lenses feels slightly stiffer. Their optical perfomance is identical (even though the C 5.6/300 doesn't have the "ULD" markings of the CN 5.6/300mm ULD.

That said, the Mamiya Sekor C lineup has some really excellent lenses, among them the Sekor A 4/120mm Macro, the Sekor C 4/210mm and the Sekor C/CN 5.6/300mm (ULD). The Soft Focus 4.5/145mm is remarkable as well due its smooth bokeh and relatively long focal length. On the other hand the C 1.9/80mm and 2/80mm as well as the 2.8/45mm and 3.5/35mm lenses are nothing special if used on 35mm FF sensors.

S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
even though the C 5.6/300 doesn't have the "ULD" markings of the CN 5.6/300mm ULD.
S

I noticed that the C and C N 5.6/300 look essentially identical. I picked up a "ULD" marked one for what amounts to "free". Looking forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
https://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-645-c-35mm-f3-5-haze-inside-the-lens-t84981.html

Thanks for that information. I'm noticing balsam separation in the description of a significant number of early C lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plug for the C 120mm f4 macro. Impressive resolution and very nice bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya 645 lens questions and observations. Build qualit Reply with quote

Noritar wrote:
...The 80/2.8 C N I have has a plastic barrel, but the 55/2.8 clearly has a metal lens barrel. So do other lenses besides the 80/2.8 have plastic lens barrels or just that focal length? They both have plastic control rings, which doesn't really bother me....Thank you.

I have these M645 lenses (lens, metal/plastic barrel/issues or notes):

35/3.5N, metal, haze or separation rear elements
45/2.8N, metal, no issues
55/2.8N, plastic, no issues
80/2.8N, plastic, no issues
80/1.9N, metal, no issues
110/2.8N, metal, no issues
A120/4, metal, no issues
A150/2.8, metal, internal flocking sucks dust into lens so effectively there is haze but not separation (bad design)

Noritar wrote:
... I plan to buy an 80/1.9 which is a little pricier lately. Should I consider the non-N version if build quality is a concern? I intend to use these for video, so smooth focus is a higher priority than contrast.

The 80/1.9 N is one of my favourite lenses, although it purple fringes a lot wide open it's still very sharp. Excellent from F2. it's great as a portrait lens wide open and at F2.

The 110, 120 and 150 are excellent lenses.
The 110/2.8 is just superb, high contrast, very sharp wide open.
The A120 is excellent but has a hotspot issue when stopped down a lot, as you typically do with a macro.
The A150/2.8 is a dust magnet and seems to suck flocking into itself so whilst very sharp it has it's own issues.

I tend not to use the 35, 55 and 45 although the 45/2.8N is excellent, as it should be considering how slow it is.

I think there are different optical designs of the 45.

As mentioned elsewhere, there may be a separation issue with the 35mm lenses. I have the 35N which seems to show signs of separation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya 645 lens questions and observations. Build qualit Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:

I tend not to use the 35, 55 and 45 although the 45/2.8N is excellent, as it should be considering how slow it is.

That's odd about your 55/2.8 N having a plastic barrel. Mine is metal. The serial number is stamped in the plastic aperture control ring, but the lens barrel and filter threads are metal.

The 110/2.8 is on the top of my buy list. Everyone seems to love that lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Another plug for the C 120mm f4 macro. Impressive resolution and very nice bokeh.

Hear, hear!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
the Mamiya Sekor C lineup has some really excellent lenses, among them the Sekor A 4/120mm Macro, the Sekor C 4/210mm and the Sekor C/CN 5.6/300mm (ULD).

I too back up stevemark's assertion here. I bought all three of these lenses to use on my GFX, and they're all excellent.

I also agree that the 120 Macro is good for a lot more than just macro. I've gotten some great portraits with that one, and it does indeed have very nice bokeh (as does the 210, for that matter).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya 645 lens questions and observations. Build qualit Reply with quote

Noritar wrote:
jjphoto wrote:

That's odd about your 55/2.8 N having a plastic barrel. Mine is metal. The serial number is stamped in the plastic aperture control ring, but the lens barrel and filter threads are metal.

The 110/2.8 is on the top of my buy list. Everyone seems to love that lens.

I forgot to mention that I briefly owned that lens. While it’s a good lens, I didn’t find it any better (on FF) than let’s say the very affordable Minolta AF 100/2.8 macro. In fact, I think the Minolta has slightly better resolution wide open. What I díd like about the lens however, is relatively round bokeh all over the frame because it is a medium format lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Hear, hear!

There is the dedicate topic:

https://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-c-lens-image-t84700,highlight,%2Bmamiya.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya 645 lens questions and observations. Build qualit Reply with quote

Noritar wrote:
The 80/2.8 C N I have has a plastic barrel,

Thank you.

Well, but it does it's job quite well:

https://i.ibb.co/0nfhTtz/CF016258-min.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

My experience is with the 210/4,.

Well, it is really perfect lens for portraiture:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya 645 lens questions and observations. Build qualit Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

I forgot to mention that I briefly owned that lens. While it’s a good lens, I didn’t find it any better (on FF) than let’s say the very affordable Minolta AF 100/2.8 macro. In fact, I think the Minolta has slightly better resolution wide open. What I díd like about the lens however, is relatively round bokeh all over the frame because it is a medium format lens.

I think approx 100mm is a kind of sweet spot for lens designers so it's not hard to make a really good one, as long as it's fairly slow (IMHO F2.8 is slow).

Interesting point about the bokeh and I suspect this would be the case with most medium format lenses because they effectively avoid mechanical vignetting altogether (when used on smaller formats).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really to say the later AF lenses were very nice indeed. And very nicely performed also.

For example - the very last zoom in that system (Mamiya Secor D ZOOM AF 75-150mm 4.5) is build as a tank, all metal, and performs incredibly starting from the open diagram. There are some samples of it:

https://forum.mflenses.com/phase-one-645-dfand-p-25-mamiya-secor-d-zoom-af-75-150mm-4-5-t85353.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
Really to say the later AF lenses were very nice indeed. And very nicely performed also.

For example - the very last zoom in that system (Mamiya Secor D ZOOM AF 75-150mm 4.5) is build as a tank, all metal, and performs incredibly starting from the open diagram. There are some samples of it:

https://forum.mflenses.com/phase-one-645-dfand-p-25-mamiya-secor-d-zoom-af-75-150mm-4-5-t85353.html

Very Nice !

Last edited by caspert79 on Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Very Nice ?

Well, in it's own class, of course.

At least that sample is all metal. Excluding the blend of course.

And quite heavy unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I’m having some issues with mixing up exclamation marks and question marks lately.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Sorry, I’m having some issues with mixing up exclamation marks and question marks lately.

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Very Nice !

https://photographylife.com/lenses/mamiya-75-150mm-f4-5-d