Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya 2.8/28 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Mamiya 2.8/28 ? Reply with quote

Here is a Mamiya 2.8/28 on the bay :
Click here to see on Ebay

Do you know this lens and what do you think about it ?

What price would be worth it ?

Thanks in advance. Smile
Olivier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver,

its a Tokina. I bought one 2 weeks ago for approx. 21 € but had until now no time to make some tests.

You can look also here

http://forum.mflenses.com/sears-tokina-28-2-8-being-a-tourist-colombus-telegraph-t7657,highlight,tokina+++28mm.html

Greetings

Rolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rolf.

As always, nice samples and tests from Luis !

Have a very good day.
Olivier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver,

the weather is now better here in Germany. I made some test shots for you. Nothing special only into the garden. As you can see it´s very soft and with a lot of CA. All shots with 5DMKII and wide open.

May be it is better with a crop cam or another aperture.

Rolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch...

Maybe you're right about the best quality with a less pixels sensor.
Nevertheless, afetr these shots, I think I'll left it to somebody else. Wink

Thanks a lot Rolf. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this message is outdated and deleted!

Last edited by Aykman on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aykman,

"Tokina" was the house brand of Tokyo Koki, the original name of that company. You will sometimes find 1960's preset lenses labelled "Tokyo Koki Tokina" or "Tele-Tokina". Tokina certainly existed, both as a company and as a brand name, long before the 1970's when they started to sell most of their lenses under the Tokina brand.

You will find plenty of these very distinctive old presets under many names, including Yashica (the original lenses shown for the Yashica Penta-J in 1962 were this series), and even the original Mamiya 400/6.3 for the 500TL/1000TL is one of these.

As for automatic lenses -

Early Mamiya SLR lenses have a very, very strong resemblance to some lenses sold by Ricoh, Yashica, Vivitar, Soligor, and many other brands, which based on the Vivitar serial number codes identify them as made by Tokina. Have a look at the very distinctive 90-230/4.5 zoom that can be found under all these brands (just one example). It is the same lens as the one sold as a Mamiya for the TL/DTL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this message is outdated and deleted!

Last edited by Aykman on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confusion about Mamiya lenses is the fact that they made more lenses for other companies than they bought from other companies. Other than here say, I have never seen any definitive proof that Tokina or Tomoika made any lenses for Mamiya. As far as Ricoh goes, they bought most of their lenses. Vivitar and Soligor also contracted their lenses.

I'm not sure the serial number system works for Vivitar prior to 1970. It probably does to some extent but I don't know about the reliability.

Mamiya even made some 35mm lenses for Rollie until they dropped manufacturing of 35mm in the early 80s.

Edit:

http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments -

> The confusion about Mamiya lenses is the fact that they made more lenses for other companies than they bought from other companies.

Thats very hard to say, and there is the issue of timing. We are mostly concerned with the first lenses for the 500TL/1000TL on this matter. Its perfectly possible that Mamiya bought in lenses for a while, as it was entering a new market for them.

>Other than here say, I have never seen any definitive proof that Tokina or Tomoika made any lenses for Mamiya.

Definitive proof would be good, but that would consist of documents which we can't get at. Even so, we have very compelling physical evidence.

>As far as Ricoh goes, they bought most of their lenses. Vivitar and Soligor also contracted their lenses.

Thats correct. As did Yashica for a lot of their early SLR lenses, and many other SLR makers, in spite of having lens manufacturing capability.

> I'm not sure the serial number system works for Vivitar prior to 1970.

It doesn't. And there are cases of probable post-1970 lenses that don't fit either.

> It probably does to some extent but I don't know about the reliability.

In the case of the Vivitar T4 series with the "37" code, it seems very reliable and consistent. T4 was a Tokina design. The alleged Tokina-made Mamiya's closely resemble several items in this specific series.

> Mamiya even made some 35mm lenses for Rollie until they dropped manufacturing of 35mm in the early 80s.

This does not preclude Mamiya buying in lenses from other makers to fill out parts of their product line over a given period - they had to offer a reasonably full range for marketing reasons, but may not have wanted to get into the R&D and tooling expense to create and manufacture unique designs across the range.