Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Makinon Reflex MC 400 6.7 Macro. Info?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Makinon Reflex MC 400 6.7 Macro. Info? Reply with quote

I just bought one because it was very cheap on ebay (together with a revuenon 1.4/55), and because I needed something long and compact to use on my nex, but there seem to be little info about it around.
Does anyone here know something about this lens?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, yes I once owned one of these. It was promptly sold though I'm afraid...it was softer than Andrex toilet roll Laughing I think there was a weird coating problem...

It has that nice doughnut effect though Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the samples Graham: actually it doesn't look great (and I suspected that), but the compact size and low price were just too tempting.
Also, the lens itself looks quite cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember mine had a coating problem, yours might be better Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the lens and found some time to give it a go around home: since there seem to be little info around I'll share my first impressions:

It's beautifully built, and rather compact for its FL, it handles quite well on my nex5n.
With non extreme sunlight it tends to give very low contrast, and it's quite difficult to focus on the lcd (obviously).

Here are some boring samples, with pp (contrast pushing and sharpening for resize), all handheld - so expect some motion blur.
I feel it will be quite usable once I get confident in handling it, nothing exceptional, but usable, especially for web-resized images.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Your images are a lot better than i hoped.

With some limites about the subjects, and a bit of pp, you cana obtain good images, i guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Well. Your images are a lot better than i hoped.

With some limites about the subjects, and a bit of pp, you cana obtain good images, i guess.

Yes, that's my impression, waiting to test it in some more interesting/challenging situations.
The really good part is that it's the first lens longer than 200mm that I can consider putting in my hiking bag: it's more or less as bulky as my takumar 135/2.5, and it feels a bit lighter too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-tested the lens today with my new sony nex 5R:

Handheld (leaning to a wall) early evening moon shot, jpeg SOOC 1/400sec 400 iso, no pp whatsoever applied:

The strong light falloff comes from the fact that the moon was shot through a "hole" in the tree-tops out of my window, so that's actually blurred leaves.

another one, same settings, with contrast push, b/w conversion with strong (digital) yellow filter:

This one was cropped to about 3megapixels, so it should be more or less a 100% crop.

Again, I'm pretty happy with the results, especially considering that with a tripod and in raw it would probably look better (especially for noise) and would give more chances to improve it in PP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very good - congrats Smile
And the bokeh is also interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Makinon mirrors 300,400 and 500 all seem decent to me and your result confirm my conclusion. Congrats!

If you do not have a hood, buy or make one. It should help to improve the contrast under sunlight.