Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Makinon Mirror/Reflex Manual
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Makinon Mirror/Reflex Manual Reply with quote

I picked up a copy of the Makinon 300mm reflex lens recently and it included this one-page manual, printed on both sides, folded up and crammed into the case. I thought it would be interesting to some members. Unfortunately it’s kind of wrinkled, and even my flatbed scanner doesn’t flatten it completely.

I haven’t uploaded photos before so I hope this works okay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that.
I'd never heard of the 400mm f6.7, but a quick search pulled up a couple on sale, and an old thread here on mflenses. Might have to look out for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how's the makinon 300mm compare to the generic 300mm mirrors?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
how's the makinon 300mm compare to the generic 300mm mirrors?

Well, my copy is pretty soft.
This one has had some post processing to help it

I decided that it was best suited to creative photography

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the artistic flower photos. I am working on some critical test shots to evaluate the sharpness of the Makinon 300 versus the generic 300mm/f5.6 mirror lenses (of which I have now a large collection...) but I am not familiar enough with all of them yet to say. But I don't think the Makinon is outstanding in comparison with them. A bit different, perhaps, but not an unknown gem, as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, I have seen a few lenses that appear to be rebranded Makinons. I know I have read somewhere that Makina Optical made their own lenses, they didn't rebrand someone else's products. But they allowed their products to be rebranded, possibly?

I say that because there are a few distinctive things about the Makinon. Put them together and it seems unlikely a similar lens isn't from them. Fixed mount instead of T2 mount, styling, number of knurls on the focus ring, etc. This listing for a "Alistar 400mm f/6.7 mirror lens" on eBay looks EXACTLY like my Makinon 400/6.7: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283877742510 I've bought it; I'll find out soon enough when it arrives. Photo from the listing:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaprb wrote:
This listing for a "Alistar 400mm f/6.7 mirror lens" on eBay looks EXACTLY like my Makinon 400/6.7

This lens arrived. I cannot tell any difference between my Makinon and this lens. (I used a Vernier caliper to measure it, too.) I think it's made by Makinon. Also, I believe it's Aiistar, not Alistar as the eBay listing spelled it.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi xaprb. Do you still have that lens? Are you happy with it? How does it perform please?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaprb wrote:
, By the way, I have seen a few lenses that appear to be rebranded Makinons. I know I have read somewhere that Makina Optical made their own lenses, they didn't rebrand someone else's products. But they allowed their products to be rebranded, possibly?

Makina was a significant supplier of re-branded lenses beginning in the mid 1970s. I have seen Makina lenses branded as Chinon and own a 2.8/28mm Makina branded as Rikenon P. They can also be found labeled Focal/K-Mart and Continental Optics and that's just barely scratching the front element.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 400/6,7 (and 2 300/5,6). I like these lenses a lot but unfortunately they are plain bad.
The first 400 is 100% useless but it looks quite clean. My other copy is optically a bit better but still very far from good. I've read quite a few bad reviews of these lenses but also a couple of good comments. So I figured the problem may lay with the quality control and therefore I gave the better copy to my friend and miracle lens repair guru, asking him to check it all and see if the mediocrity of its performance really lays with a bad assembly.
He looked at both and found out elements separation of the small central assembly. That will impact sharpness badly. I'll put some pictures of where to look for that if you intend to buy one of these. If these signs are present, sharpness will be highly compromised. Avoid.
Then it took my friend 6 or 7 trials to obtain the best possible centering.
The result can be seen in the picture with the code bar. It' s much less then average but I'm still going to use it for artistic... results.
I intend to have the 300mm checked the same way.

Where you can see the elements separation before buying.

What it can look like.

Probably the best we could get with that lens.