Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MAKINON MC REFLEX 300MM F5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Poor little lens... I must admit that I took a shine to donut bokeh under certain conditions. I'll look around for a replacement, a mirror lens of cause.

I can recommend the Tamron SP 500mm AD2 (I have the 55BB model). The Adaptall mounts can be acquired for most cameras, and it is sharper than a lot of mirrors (avoid the Centon!). It is particularly good in the close focus department - giving 1:3 magnification.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Is it that Tamron? http://photohaus.de/index.php?id=55&tx_trproduktgalerie_pi1[cat]=163&tx_trproduktgalerie_pi1[page_nr]=0&tx_trproduktgalerie_pi1[produkt]=14273&cHash=d831175440ad5525be456fcb614632f3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Is it that Tamron? http://photohaus.de/index.php?id=55&tx_trproduktgalerie_pi1[cat]=163&tx_trproduktgalerie_pi1[page_nr]=0&tx_trproduktgalerie_pi1[produkt]=14273&cHash=d831175440ad5525be456fcb614632f3

There are two versions of this lens 55B and 55BB - I have the later one. The image shows the earlier one, which unhelpfully doesn't seem to show the letters 55B. There was a slight change, possibly improvement, between the two versions, but I have only used the second one. www.adaptall-2.org is a useful resource on Tamron mf lenses. Maybe someone else has compared the two versions?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Disassembled the lens as described here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1147619.html. This is what I can see at the front mirror. Most likely it is not on the surface as cleaning the surface is not successful. Could be a damaged coating on the backside?

This looks like separation of the coating. There is no easy way to fix it. With this said, it may not affect image quality. If you look from the back, you will probably only observe some yellow colored/oil like shimmer. Photographic lens are very resilient in that manner that problems with lens don't manifest themselves until huge amount of the usable focusing surface have been lost. You will loss some contrast and sharpness in those areas for sure but should be perfectly usable. I would continue to use it and not touch it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
The image shows the earlier one, which unhelpfully doesn't seem to show the letters 55B. There was a slight change, possibly improvement, between the two versions, but I have only used the second one. www.adaptall-2.org is a useful resource on Tamron mf lenses.

Thanks again! Very Happy

drjs wrote:
With this said, it may not affect image quality.

Well, the sample images above proof the oposite. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The donuts that are formed from out of focus highlights are going to be an issue with images that you take - if the little aberrations bother you.
The lens will be perfectly OK in soft lighting and where bright highlights don't show.
If you are thoughtful about your image making, you will still get fine images from this lens.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those rings are caused by the Catadioptric design....Every Cat-Lens does that Wink