Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 mountings and it's variations.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Fujica catch/release Reply with quote

TAo2, you forgot one other interesting aspect of the Fujica M42 variation... The lenses have a notch in them, and the bodies a pin so that the lenses lock onto the body, much like a bayonet lens would! This is something I haven't seen on other M42 systems, but then I'm not as aware of others as I am of the Fujicas. Mine is an AZ-1, with auto shutter, three mech fallback speeds, mech bulb, a wonderfully uncluttered shutter speed dial, and great LED readout. One of their latest M42 models before adopting the X mount.

ETA- this lock also of course stopped the lens at a specific point, negating worries over the precision of where the M42 would stop twisting...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BRH,

Eeerm, have a look where the arrows are pointing on the pics in my post? Laughing

and

Quote:
Like the Mamiya, the 901(and the 705, 801) had a small flange on the lens and a pin on the body at the lens mount tae enable open aperture
[quote]

Cool

Quote:
a wonderfully uncluttered shutter speed dial

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
Eeerm, have a look where the arrows are pointing on the pics in my post? Laughing

I believe we're speaking of two different things! You pointed out the major neat feature of the Fujica M42 variant - its pin and collar system for open-aperture metering.

But! The Fujicas have another trick up their sleeve - the lenses lock onto the bodies so that once they are screwed on, they cannot simply be unscrewed without first hitting a lens release button (like any bayonet lens). This also guarantees that the lens always stops at the appropriate flange-to-film distance and that the lens is always perfectly upright. It of course also then guarantees that the coupling with the open-aperture metering system will be properly lined up as well! The lens release button is visible in your first photo of the 801 - under the DOF preview (/stop down meter) button and to the right of the bottom of the self timer.

I am unsure if other open-aperture metering variants to M42 have similar locking mechanisms?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="brh"]
TAo2 wrote:

TAo2 there's a pin and button on the other side of the mount, this is the pin that brh is refering to.
See below on my Mamiya that shares this system, on the left on the mount, then below that to the left is the button that releases it.

Last edited by MTHall on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTHall wrote:

See below on my Mamiya that shares this system, on the left on the mount, then below that to the left is the button that releases it.

Well that answers my question!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brh wrote:
MTHall wrote:

Well that answers my question!

I had a Fujinon zoom that worked quite well on this camera, I had to modify the milled grove that located on this pin, it was too tight originally, so the pin wouldn't drop in properly. once adjusted so, it functioned fairly well but wasn't very accurate on exposure, so although the system is the same, it isn't completely compatible, thought you might like to know that?