Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.7 Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: M42 Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.7 Questions Reply with quote

I have recently acquired these 2 wonderful lenses. I am really impressed with them both. I have done some researching,
but I want to know what the experts here have to say about who possibly manufactured these.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/had both of them. The 1.4/55 is Tomioka design, hard to identify the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both lenses as well.There are a lot of opinions on who made what out on the net (I have no idea) ...I just like what they can produce...enjoy your lenses and please post up the results from both.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.7 Questions Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
I have recently acquired these 2 wonderful lenses. I am really impressed with them both. I have done some researching,
but I want to know what the experts here have to say about who possibly manufactured these.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

There are at least 2 different versions of Rikenon 55mm f1.4, one is similar to other 55mm f1.4 lenses probably made by Tomioka, and one is a bit different.

The 50mm f1.7 is very similar to Yashika lenses (although it seems to have different coating), so aslo most chances it is made by Tomioka.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: M42 Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.7 Questions Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:

There are at least 2 different versions of Rikenon 55mm f1.4, one is similar to other 55mm f1.4 lenses probably made by Tomioka, and one is a bit different.

The 50mm f1.7 is very similar to Yashika lenses (although it seems to have different coating), so aslo most chances it is made by Tomioka.

I would love to know what the specific differences are between the two Rikenon 55mm f1.4s.

BRunner wrote:
I have/had both of them. The 1.4/55 is Tomioka design, hard to identify the manufacturer.

You're right, it is hard to identify the manufacturer. Where does this Tomioka association come from? I am suspicious of this.
Is it because it is absolutely identical to the Tomioka version? If no one really knows then it's just more internet gossip to me.
I've never seen pictures of, or output from, a Tomioka 55 f1.4. Forgive me if there are some images somewhere on this forum that I have not noticed.

Thanks everyone for your replies! PS. We need multiquote.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are (rather rare) Tomioka branded 55/1.4's, along with other types analogous to the common "kit" lenses for these other brands, plus the fact that multi-manufacturers versions of the 55/1.4 (and other types too) are extremely similar) so that is a source of the gossip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: M42 Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.7 Questions Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
....You're right, it is hard to identify the manufacturer. Where does this Tomioka association come from? I am suspicious of this.
Is it because it is absolutely identical to the Tomioka version? If no one really knows then it's just more internet gossip to me.
I've never seen pictures of, or output from, a Tomioka 55 f1.4. Forgive me if there are some images somewhere on this forum that I have not noticed....

In this thread I did an OOF rendering comparison between some Tomioka based lenses. I think, that Rikenon, Porsts and earlier Revuenons render the background close enough to assume same optical scheme.

http://forum.mflenses.com/7-fast-55mm-and-50mm-quick-oof-rendering-comparison-t32963.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.7 Questions Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
dimitrygo wrote:

I would love to know what the specific differences are between the two Rikenon 55mm f1.4s.

BRunner wrote:

You're right, it is hard to identify the manufacturer. Where does this Tomioka association come from? I am suspicious of this.
I've never seen pictures of, or output from, a Tomioka 55 f1.4. Forgive me if there are some images somewhere on this forum that I have not noticed.

Thanks everyone for your replies! PS. We need multiquote.

I started this comparison some time ago but abandoned it. You will find there the original Tomioka lenses, their full "copies", very similar and not so similar lenses and both Rikenon versions anong them.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dimitrygo/55mmF14LensesQuest?authkey=Gv1sRgCOre6N-gqrG05wE#

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.7 Questions Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
There are (rather rare) Tomioka branded 55/1.4's, along with other types analogous to the common "kit" lenses for these other brands, plus the fact that multi-manufacturers versions of the 55/1.4 (and other types too) are extremely similar) so that is a source of the gossip.

Thank you very much. I know you are expert.
dimitrygo wrote:

I started this comparison some time ago but abandoned it. You will find there the original Tomioka lenses, their full "copies", very similar and not so similar lenses and both Rikenon versions anong them.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dimitrygo/55mmF14LensesQuest?authkey=Gv1sRgCOre6N-gqrG05wE#

Dear dimitrygo,
My God, this is genius. You have no idea how much I appreciate your link. Amazing, thank you.
Extremely useful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.7 Questions Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Dear dimitrygo,
My God, this is genius. You have no idea how much I appreciate your link. Amazing, thank you.
Extremely useful.

Thank you. You push me to continue the "project". I think I have somewhere pictures of about 15-20 other variations. I need to find them, edit and upload.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.7 Questions Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:

Nice! I discovered from your gallery that my Rikenon could be type 1, although there is a small difference: the bottom border (under A/M switch) is black instead of aluminium. The rest seems identical. Thank you.