Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lunch Break with Super Tak 55/1.8 & Spotmatic SP
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Lunch Break with Super Tak 55/1.8 & Spotmatic SP Reply with quote

I took my newly acquired Spotmatic Sp to work with me today to see if the light meter was in the general area it needed to be. To my surprise I got a good number of usable images. The camera currently has a 1.5v battery in it so I expected a problem. Now I have to try it with some of the other lenses. I can't afford too much of this though. I have been spoiled by Digitals no cost developing. Laughing

This one was taken last night at the store where I got the film. Sorry, couldn't wait.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lunch Break with Super Tak 55/1.8 & Spotmatic SP Reply with quote

adent wrote:
I took my newly acquired Spotmatic Sp to work with me today to see if the light meter was in the general area it needed to be. To my surprise I got a good number of usable images. The camera currently has a 1.5v battery in it so I expected a problem. Now I have to try it with some of the other lenses. I can't afford too much of this though. I have been spoiled by Digitals no cost developing. Laughing

Very good results..........the UK is behind the US in that you can still get film developed cheaply, I get up to 38 shots dev and scanned to CD for £3 by a UK supermarket owned by Walmart.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lunch Break with Super Tak 55/1.8 & Spotmatic SP Reply with quote

adent wrote:
I can't afford too much of this though. I have been spoiled by Digitals no cost developing. Laughing

When you have to be cost conscious, shooting with film is a completely different experience isn't it? That's the main reason I enjoy film much more than digital - no instant replay and no firing off 5 shots in the hope one of them is OK - each shot has to count! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, using your brains instead of the fast firing mode of the digital camera is a nice challenge!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for 24exp and a photo cd it cost me a little over $14. I may have to look around and see if there is some room for price comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that since I put a new roll of film in the camera I have taken just one shot. It was a portrait of one of my parents friends. That was the only shot that I felt the need to get the camera out for. Having to pay to get the film developed makes you approach things a lot differently.

Last edited by adent on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, I do like that 55.
I do plan to shoot some film next year, it should be interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lightshow I like the results from it. The lens itself is pretty beat up. The lens barrel is loose. I'm not sure if it has been taken apart before or not. If so it looks like they didn't tighten something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the loose part in front of the focus ring? If so the screws are prob loose, unscrew the name ring to gain access.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lightshow Before I can attempt removing the name ring I will have to repair the filter threads. There is a flat spot on the rim. I can only assume that it has been dropped. That will have to wait until I can purchase the proper tool. I'm not having a good week with lenses. Last night I picked up my Super Tak 55/2 and something hit me in the chest. It turns out it was the A / M switch from the lens. Now I will have to take that apart and try not to screw up anything.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can screw a filter in the thread another method to undent filter threads is to screw a metal lens cap in and use a hammer & wood dowel to smooth out the dent, just support the opposite side with a block of wood, light taps should be enough, and as long as the elements are not loose they should not shift. That said, the proper tool is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't take a filter, I will just wait until I can purchase the correct tool. It will be a good item to have around anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that third shot! Good eye.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't bother with the CD anymore, I just get the film processed for 99pence at Tescos. When I scan the film I do it higher resolution than Tesco's do anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I don't bother with the CD anymore, I just get the film processed for 99pence at Tescos. When I scan the film I do it higher resolution than Tesco's do anyway.

Well you get an index as well, this is handy when searching your negs for past shots..but I can't praise enough the Fuji frontier machine that does the scanning, how can a flatbed home scanner compete with a machine that cost £120,000 Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much film shooting I will be doing. It is still an expense that is a luxury item right now. Luxury items are not a priority right now. I did find some B&W film in a store near here. It is $7 usd per roll though. I might give it a limited try.

@Heartcat Thanks, they were just some milkweed pods on the fence behind my work.