Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lumax gold star
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Lumax gold star Reply with quote

I wonder if anybody can give me some information on the following lens, its a Lumax gold star 3.5 28mm sn 150497e. It,s a screw fitting and came with an adapter, that looks like 42mm but only screws in the first few threads.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a T-mount lens (42mm screw, but different pitch and will need an M42 T-mount screwed on if you wish to use it).

Perhaps you could share some photos?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royston - can you show a picture? It almost certainly is a Japanese T2 fitting, but it might (only might! don't get excited just yet!!) be a German Enna.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Lumax Reply with quote

I have spent all night looking into this lens and have the following,

LEICA/PERIFLEX L39 SCREW MOUNT LUMAX GOLDSTAR LENS

It appears to be from a Corfield Periflex camera.

On a web site about Corfield camera,s I found the following "The standard lens was a 4 element 45mm f2.8 Lumax. The Lanthanum glass elements were made by Enna Werk in Germany to a very high standard."

I really want to stick this lens on to a camera and try it out!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royston,

While "Lumax" and "Gold Star" were both Corfield trademarks, years ago it was discovered that at least one Japanese-sourced T-mount pre-set long focus lens was marked as such, and it had nothing to do with the Periflex; it's likely that someone sourced them as OEM lenses behind Sir Kenneth's back.

If it is indeed a Periflex lens, bear in mind that, while they are built to be compatible with the Leica screw mount, they are not rangefinder-coupled. The original lenses for the Periflex were British made, only later were they sourced from Enna.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Royston,

While "Lumax" and "Gold Star" were both Corfield trademarks, years ago it was discovered that at least one Japanese-sourced T-mount pre-set long focus lens was marked as such, and it had nothing to do with the Periflex; it's likely that someone sourced them as OEM lenses behind Sir Kenneth's back...

I think that when the Corfield camera business was liquidated (after Guiness had acquired it) the trade marks and other intellectual property would have been sold off. Vines Cameras certainly sold Japanese-made lenses branded 'Lumax' and/or 'Gold Star'.

Royston - did you find http://corfield.org/camera/corfield.htm when you were web searching? If not, it's worth looking at.

I had a love-hate relationship with Corfield cameras in the early 1960s - if you want a laugh, be aware that I'm the idiot who swapped his Leica Standard + SBOOI v/f + FOKOS rangefinder for a Periflex II. It broke after a month. Then I got a Gold Star and that lasted two months. By then my Leica was long-gone from the dealer, sad to say. But (to show I don't bear grudges) both the English 45mm f3.5 and the German Enna 50mm f2.8 were very, very sharp lenses. Nearly as good as the Elmar in fact ... Wink (Then I bought an Exa IIA with a Domiplan - Three Cheers for the Domiplan - and that lens fell apart on holiday after three months!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This old thread and a google seach has just saved me some money. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like so

It has a positive front element (just like the Nikon 28mm f/3.5)

I've seen various serial #s recently that end in E that puzzle me