Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for lens recommendation: fast 50mm with close focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Looking for lens recommendation: fast 50mm with close focus Reply with quote

I have a Pentax 50mm 1.4 Super Tak. Nice and cheap. Good way to start. I also tried a 28mm and 200mm Super Tak. Sold the last two, and found the 50mm to be the FL I like best.

I take a lot of flower shots and I what I ignorantly call "quasi macro"

I almost never shoot 1:1, but often 1:2 to 1:4. In that range.

So, what I'm looking for is something around 50mm, that stops open pretty far, is sharp(ish) when open, but that also has a reasonably close focus.

I looked at the Nokton 50mm 1.5, but it's more a portrait lens. I don't want to do macro, because most of them start at 2.8, which for DOF purposes I find limiting. My Super Tak is a nice lens, but not the sharpest, and really very hazy at 1.4.

I'm just trying to short-cut the research process. Does anyone know of close-focusing lenses in the 50mm range, that are reasonable wide open at something less than 2.0? I'd prefer an m43 mount, but will try others.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that I can't help you! but at f/2.0 at 1:2 magnification, you'd have a very very thin DOF.

I'd suggest you buy something cheap at around f2.8 or f3.5 with 1:2 magnification and see if you really need wider aperture at such a close distance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont find a manual macro lens faster than f/2.8 I think (at reasonnable prices, if it exists). You may buy the Tamron 60/2 (AF lens for APS-C cams), or get a CZ Pancolar 50/1.8, it allows to focus at 0,33m and remains quite fast Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I check out the CZ Pancolar 50/1.8!