Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

looking for a good 24 - 28 mm bargain
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: looking for a good 24 - 28 mm bargain Reply with quote

Thanks to your support, I bought a helios 44m 58mm and a planar T 1.7 50mm.

I'd like to find a lense in the range of 24-28mm to add. (with my aps-c 550d 35mm could be too close to 50, could not?)

I also have a tamron 17-50 vc 2.8, so, at the moment, I'd like a result "better" than it (bokeh, sharpness, ...) but not very expensive, let's say under 50-60€. Does it exist?
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had 7D -APSC- I was very happy with my Yashica ML 24 Very Happy it's a great option to small sensor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb shot Dani!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
superb shot Dani!

Thanks! This 24mm is very sharp and has a very good colour, similar to Zeiss T*. The problem is in FF, the sharp and definition on the corners. In Sony NEX It'll be very good.

This photos were taken in Gandía, Valencia. This is my girlfriend Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani wrote:
This is my girlfriend

Congrats! don't forget the flowers for the Saint Valentine Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Dani Wink

Very good pictures indeed.

Actually it's a little out of my budget: if I searched correctly, it's about 200€ used on the bay Very Happy

I'll absolutely keep this lens in mind for the future anyway.

I agree with poilu, don't forget the flowers Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have bought chocolates and I have printed a photography of us Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuiko 2.8/24mm a little gem, even on FF. You can get non-MC versions ~100€.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruber wrote:
I'd like a result "better" than it (bokeh, sharpness, ...) but not very expensive, let's say under 50-60€. Does it exist?
Smile

you easily get a Komine made Vivitar close focus 2.8/28mm for your money.. and that's a great litte lens.

There is one in UK at the moment:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190639314869

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:

+10 best option under 300 EUR.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:

Plus some distortion correctin software (PTLens=19€) if shooting architectural on full frame, at least on the last nMC versions that is the one I have.

It was curious for me, that in all the reviews I have read they say that the zuiko 24 distortion is first-order barrel type, but not on mine, or at least not correctible in lightroom.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my RMC Tokina 28mm 2.8 in M42 mount. I picked it up for $11 on the 'bay, and while it usually sells for more it should be easy to find for under $100.

I love the sharpness from wide open, the beautiful, natural colour straight out of the camera, and how closely it can focus. It's one of my favourite lenses, if not 'the' favourite.

This next one was a significant crop, but still nice and sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
ruber wrote:
I'd like a result "better" than it (bokeh, sharpness, ...) but not very expensive, let's say under 50-60€. Does it exist?
Smile

you easily get a Komine made Vivitar close focus 2.8/28mm for your money.. and that's a great litte lens.

There is one in UK at the moment:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190639314869

Absolutely, it's a stunning lens. I seem to get better results from this lens than any other I have. And there's a lot about, I saw about 5 or 6 at the camera fair a few weeks ago, most priced around £10 to £20. They are a bargain at that sort of price.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much preferred the Tokina 2.8/28 to the Vivitar CF 2.8/28. Friend just bought a mint M42 Tokina 28 for 15ukp on ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

And there's a lot about, I saw about 5 or 6 at the camera fair a few weeks ago, most priced around £10 to £20. They are a bargain at that sort of price.

for this price I would buy them all Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24/3.5 Takumar or 24/2.8 Ensinor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all,

great info!

I am searching Very Happy

Obviously, you think that these lenses would be better than my tamron 17-50 vc at 28mm. ( this is the purpose, since, after the helios and the planar T, I am on a budget at the moment Smile)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I don't think that a manual focus WA is the most convenient on an APS camera, todays zooms on APS are only beaten by the best legacy 35mm wide angles, and those are not very-cost effective.

Maybe you save money and size, but you give comfort (auto-aperture and correct metering), convenience (Wide-end) and sometimes optical performance in return.

Keep on mind that I´m speaking on APS, on FF that's another story.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
BTW, I don't think that a manual focus WA is the most convenient on an APS camera, todays zooms on APS are only beaten by the best legacy 35mm wide angles, and those are not very-cost effective.

Maybe you save money and size, but you give comfort (auto-aperture and correct metering), convenience (Wide-end) and sometimes optical performance in return.

Keep on mind that I´m speaking on APS, on FF that's another story.

ouch. Sad

Thank you rafa. If I understand right, if I want a better result with legacy mf lenses than my tamron's in a "wide" aperture zone, I must look for a good 35mm. I would not have appreciable advantages with a legacy 24 or 28.

If so, I avoid to "waste" money at the moment and maybe I can focus on something more useful Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant the 35mm film format not a 35mm focal length lens.
At least that is how I read it, its put a bit confusing when talking about wideangles...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ymmot. Good point Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was referring to 35mm as 24x36 film, or FF on digital.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikkor 24/2.8 or kiron 28/2?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 28mm f3.5..

The oldest version can easily be found for under $100. All versions are pretty decent on APS-C and even the oldest single-coated version is very flare/ghost-resistant.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a tokina and a yashica ml 28 mm but the adapters haven't arrived, so I haven't tried them. I picked those two after googling for samples of many 28mm lenses. I recommend you do the same as it is to some extent a matter of preference. Some like vivid colors, some prefer more pastel look, some like more contrast, others value sharpness, bokeh, lack of fall off, etc.

Sorry to hijack the topic, ruber, could you post samples taken with your tamron?
I want to get that lens myself but would like to see first what it is capable of. Could be interesting to see how it compares to budget legacy wide angle primes.

I have camera with a crop sensor too, as I buy lenses with lower focal lengths I start to understand why people want full frame cameras.