Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Logarska valley, [AF] Tokina 12-24
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Logarska valley, [AF] Tokina 12-24 Reply with quote

A couple of pics from last week's visit to Logarska valley in Slovenia. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've been wandering on my territory Wink
great photos, great lens... I like #4
Logarska valley is located to the north of Slovenia in the so called Kamniško-Savinjske Alps , mostly I visit Julian Alps located to the north-west of our country

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Roman. I hope I'll visit some more of your beautiful mountains this summer. Wink

By the way, after this trip I got an idea to do the same thing you did - sell the Tokina 12-24 and get some manual lenses instead. Lugging a DSLR on hiking trips can be quite clumsy so a smaller lens like Zuiko 28/3.5 or CZ D28/2.8 would make it more portable. Only drawback to that is having to do more panorama and stitching work (but that should also give better IQ). What was your primary reason for replacing the Tokina with Nikkor 24 and 35?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toni, the last image strikes me as a beautiful image indeed. Exposure,
color, contrast - all good. Scenery - magnificent.

Extremely nice shots.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
Thanks, Roman. I hope I'll visit some more of your beautiful mountains this summer. Wink

By the way, after this trip I got an idea to do the same thing you did - sell the Tokina 12-24 and get some manual lenses instead. Lugging a DSLR on hiking trips can be quite clumsy so a smaller lens like Zuiko 28/3.5 or CZ D28/2.8 would make it more portable. Only drawback to that is having to do more panorama and stitching work (but that should also give better IQ). What was your primary reason for replacing the Tokina with Nikkor 24 and 35?

well I don't know, I asked that myself couple of times (my tokina was extremely sharp even wide open) I just didn't/don't need AF anymore and even though 12mm is wide it's not THAT wide so I rather take some 8-10 photos and stitch them together, having a 40-80mp photo and you get even wider and it's more fun... 12mm is great for indoors or/and in tight spaces but for landscape photography I prefer a "normal" wide lens, and if you want to go wider you just stitch...

...and I just wanted a Nikkor 24/2.8 Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!
Nice lens, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
symphonic wrote:

well I don't know, I asked that myself couple of times (my tokina was extremely sharp even wide open) I just didn't/don't need AF anymore and even though 12mm is wide it's not THAT wide so I rather take some 8-10 photos and stitch them together, having a 40-80mp photo and you get even wider and it's more fun... 12mm is great for indoors or/and in tight spaces but for landscape photography I prefer a "normal" wide lens, and if you want to go wider you just stitch...

Very nice series and a great and beautiful location.

Have thought in the same way with stitching etc... But sometimes you have not enough time for stitching and pano shots. Was looking a longer time for a MF lens below 20mm for my K-5 and now I bought few days ago the SIGMA 8-16 AF zoom lens.

So far I have seen surprisingly sharp from corner to corner. It is the little brother of the well known SIGMA 12-24mm.

Will take today some images on a motor show with this lens.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, Carsten, Rolf - thanks for the kind words. Smile

NikonD wrote:

In the same way I want a Distagon 28/2.8 which I assume will be my main reason for selling the Tokina. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
Laurence, Carsten, Rolf - thanks for the kind words. Smile

NikonD wrote:

In the same way I want a Distagon 28/2.8 which I assume will be my main reason for selling the Tokina. Wink

Make sure to think twice about it. The Distagon surely is a great lens, but you cannot stitch in every situation. Sometime a wide angel below 20mm is just fantastic!