Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

List of small lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: BUMPing this thread 13 months later Reply with quote

A related search brought me here. First, Argus:

overmywaders wrote:
Thanks for the correction on the register distance of the Argus. I have not yet received the parts that will allow me to convert them to M42 mount, which is easy. However, now that I know that the register distance for the Argus rangefinders is diminutive I won't strive for infinity. I still haven't found a source for the FFD, all I see is the 44.45mm which must be for the Argus SLR - hence my confusion. Do you have the FFD for the C-3 and C-44?

The FFD (register) of the C3 seems to be around 42mm, maybe 41mm. What parts did you find that allows conversion of C3 lenses to M42?

I have been handling my Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 and 100/4.5's lately and I have some ideas which involve a cheap M39-M42 adapter ring, which I measure as about 6mm thick. I'll want to grind off 1mm of that, for reasons I'll give below.

On the 35/4.5, I should be able to remove the focus ring -- I measure the the gear as 41mm diameter, the ring as 37mm -- and glue the adapter against the gear rim. With the adapter ring shaved, it won't obstruct the view of the focal distance numbers. The lens should screw into any M42 mount.

That same shaved adapter could be used on the 100/4.5, which has the 41mm diameter gear, then a 5mm wide section of body that is 38mm diameter, then another knurled ring that is maybe 41.5mm diameter. I should be able to remove those rings and glue the shaved adapter into that 5mm-wide body section.

With a dissolvable glue, this mod would be reversible. For a more secure but non-reversible mod, grind off the gear teeth and tap a 39mm thread, making the lens M39. Then screw on an unshaved M39-M42 adapter ring. But I wouldn't do that.

Another approach for the 100/4.5 that doesn't require disassembling the lens is to shave the M39-M42 adapter ring to 5mm, then carefully make one cut through that adapter, then glue the adapter into that 5mm gap on the lens between the geared and knurled rings.

Another possible method: I have some thick flanged M39-PK adapters. I should be able to grind about 2mm off the inner thread, giving a 41mm throat that would fit over the 41mm geared ring but be stopped by the wider knurled ring. Two or three small hole drilled into the adapter throat for grub screws would secure the adapter to the 5mm-wide body section and not damage the geared ring.

Infinity focus IS possible. I proved this yesterday with my Pentax K20D (same FFD / register as M42). I wrapped thin-cut (and MESSY!) electrical tape over the geared and knurled rings of the 100/4.5, then roughly threaded a flanged M42-PK adapter onto that. Mounted on the camera, it focused to infinity. It tilted a little, but the principle works.

It looks like the correct position for a PK adapter is to be set back about 5mm from the lens flange. The front of the adapter is about even with the lens flange. The lens thread protrudes about 10mm into the PK body, which does NOT interfere with the SLR mirror. If you check a PK lens you'll see that its aperture-link flag protrudes about 12mm, so 10mm is quite safe. Proof: I didn't break my mirror!

Back to the thread: small lenses. Many 50's are about the size of those Takumars. Those are almost giants compared to the Industar-50/3.5, Sandmar 35/4.5, Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 (Exakta), Loreo 35/11 PC, etc. Even the Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 is much smaller than my SuperTak 35/3.5 and 55/1.8. My latest pancake, a PK Chinon 45/2.8, is wider but just as flat as the Industar and Helioplan. Many lenses *could* be small, but the makers decided to give our fingers more to grab. Think of it as body bloat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico,

re: the Argus C44

A 42-43 step-up ring and some gorilla glue does the job. There is plenty of room to glue the 43mm and that gives you a 42mm male thread for the lens mount.

Best regards,
Reed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned by others Auto-Tak 3.5/35mm is small (my smallest). And also a good performer. 135g, 31mm long, 52 wide (46mm filter thread)

And according to taunusreiter.de:

Quote:
One must add that this design is very close to a copy of the German Voigtlander Skoparon 3.5/35 ~1952 (wideangle lens for Prominent leaf shutter Rangefinder camera). Probably Voigtlander just have forgotten to patent this design for international market, or did it just for leaf-shutter cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overmywaders wrote:
A 42-43 step-up ring and some gorilla glue does the job. There is plenty of room to glue the 43mm and that gives you a 42mm male thread for the lens mount.

Hah! A 42 step-up ring! I didn't think of that! Need... more... coffee... duh... And I look on eBay -- the cheapest 42->43 is US$4.19. I also see a 42->42 for US$3.24 -- might that work? (Yes, I'm cheap.)

Such are for the Sandmars, with their standard focusing helicoids. The Cintar 50/3.5 (Elmar copy) is different, its focusing is just too damn clever. Any adapter attaching to a camera *must* grab the Cintar's mount thread. And I don't see any 42->33 rings available. Has anyone worked out a Cintar-M42 conversion? Or are Cintars reserved for m4/3 cams?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like small lenses, too!
All the Pentax M and A lenses are very small.
Check here for a complete list:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/index.html

especially remarkable are:
M40/2.8 18mm length
M85/2 46mm length
M135/3.5 66mm length

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikon 20mm f4 (NAI and AI versions) is pretty tiny, too. The 20mm f3.5 AIS is just a touch bigger. I wouldn't call the Nikkor 135 f3.5 tiny, but it is pretty small!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's mentioned the Meyer Domiplan 2.8/50 yet? It's not a lot bigger than the Industar 50, but if you want picture quality too then forget it. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently tried a Voigtlander 40mm Ultron, in EF mount. One word : impressive, as well for image quality and especially compacity, as this is a "pancake" style lens.

same goes for the 20mm , equally compact. Very affordable lenses ( about 400€ )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tip for a compact short tele lens - Tamron Twin tele 135mm f/4.5. Not the fastest lens but quite sharp from wide open and super compact. I have a dozen 135mm lenses, but non of them are even close to the size of this little fellow. It's also smaller than the little LTM Leica Elmar 90mm. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some that hasn't been mentioned in this thread:

Voigtländer Color Skopar 20/3.5 - Practical a pancace lens.
Voigtländer Color Heliar 75/2.5 - Wonderful short portrait-tele.
Tamron BBAR 105/2.5 - Small, pretty fast and supposed to be good IQ.

Voigtländer APO Lanthar 180/4 - It might not be small comparing to the 50-ish pancaces, but for beeing an 180mm it is small.
I always bring it when I want to travel light.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander Skoparex 35/3.4 (DKL) - really small

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like also the small lenses , it is one of the main reasons to move back towards the Mf lenses .So :
-Rokkor 45/2
-Fujinon EBC X 135/3.5
-Yashica ML 28/2.8 is small enough and
-Hexanon 40/1.8 (wich is on my list).Hexanon 50/1.7 is bigger ,but still small enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
The Nikon 20mm f4 (NAI and AI versions) is pretty tiny, too. The 20mm f3.5 AIS is just a touch bigger. I wouldn't call the Nikkor 135 f3.5 tiny, but it is pretty small!

Oh, yeah. I don't mind reasonably heavy lenses, but if I'm carrying them for a distance, nothing beats a good, light lens.

After getting to play with one for a short time, I'd love to acquire a Zeiss Distagon T* 21/2.8. Even if I do get the Zeiss, I doubt I'll ever let go of my Nikkor 20/3.5 Ai-s. I can carry it in a vest or jacket pocket and barely notice it's there. The Zeiss? Not so much.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Nordentro, sorry to drift off-topic, but I just gotta ask about that beer. Is this a popular Norwegian brand? I'm wondering if I could find it anywhere here in the US. I'd just love to serve Aass beer at an upcoming Christmas party, for example. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Nordentro, sorry to drift off-topic, but I just gotta ask about that beer. Is this a popular Norwegian brand? I'm wondering if I could find it anywhere here in the US. I'd just love to serve Aass beer at an upcoming Christmas party, for example. Cool

Very Happy It's quite common brand in Norwegian grocery stores.

I was wondering if anyone would comment on the brand! Aass means hill in Norwegian Wink

Visit their website and ask if they export beer to the US, they might do!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM/Zuiko when usual aperture and focal max 50mm (50/1.8 , 35/2.8., 24/2.8..) are usually 31mm long (very very small when mounted on cameras)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought an Olympus 300/4.5, doubt that will be 31mm long though Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've just bought an Olympus 300/4.5, doubt that will be 31mm long though Laughing

for focal <=50mm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

for focal <=50mm

I know, I was kidding Wink