Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lightleak or flare? FED-2 results
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Lightleak or flare? FED-2 results Reply with quote

Some weeks ago I bought a blue FED-2, I told you about that. I ran a first test roll of Ilforld Delta 400 through the camera. Mounted an Industar-26 lens, without hood. I am quite happy with the results, but in some photos I noticed a strange light effect. The lens is flaring quite a bit (photos 3 and 4), but what I mean is quite obvious is photos 5 and 6. Flare also? Or a lightleak?

Downstairs by Rense Haveman, on Flickr

Sunglasses and Shadows by Rense Haveman, on Flickr

Flare Dinner by Rense Haveman, on Flickr

Backlit Waiter by Rense Haveman, on Flickr

Studying by Rense Haveman, on Flickr

Happy Lunch! by Rense Haveman, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Industar-26 as the Jupiter-8 are notorious for flare and because not all the photos shown seem to be infected I propose that you should try again with a hood mounted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogie wrote:
Both the Industar-26 as the Jupiter-8 are notorious for flare and because not all the photos shown seem to be infected I propose that you should try again with a hood mounted.

Thanks. A hood is on it's way, I guess. I ordered a vented one from China....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 5 and 6 you may be getting light leak - on mine it has been situational, depending on direction of light and its intensity, where my face is, and mood of camera Wink I've identified two-three points where carcass meets superstructure and is covered by the back (ie. up from the film gate, under top plate) where pinpoints of leak can appear. A dab of stuff in those spots cures it.

Putzin with the Fed - back cover removed by Nesster, on Flickr

Ah, I should strive for the proper terminology: the film gate is in the shutter box... on the top edges of the shutter box both in the film plane or around the corners in the film supply/take up areas, where the box meets rest of camera, the agricultural assembly methods used may result in burrs or gaps, through which light may enter under specific circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
On 5 and 6 you may be getting light leak - on mine it has been situational, depending on direction of light and its intensity, where my face is, and mood of camera Wink I've identified two-three points where carcass meets superstructure and is covered by the back (ie. up from the film gate, under top plate) where pinpoints of leak can appear. A dab of stuff in those spots cures it.

Thanks Jussi! I suspected a leak..... keep it in the never-ready case could be a cure, but it's too heavy I think! You can say a lot about Warsaw Pact QC, but those cases are made of the toughest cows they bred.... (bred, bread, brew, breeded.... my English needs some maintenance....)