Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lighting a Church
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Lighting a Church Reply with quote

The Saxon Church of St Michael’s at Duntisbourne Rous in the Cotswolds an example shot of the interior done with a lighting idea I was trying. I have left a little of the light modifier showing in the top right corner.

I got the idea from the Stobist Blogspot. It really is very simple yet effective and costs next to nothing. It is often a good idea not to have directional flash but I have found many of the ‘Bare bulb’ modifiers like Stofan are too small, this paper lantern is 45 cm diameter, which allows a fairly good spread of light.
Eventually the paper will tear and then I shall re-cover the wire frame with the usual material I make diffusers/soft boxes with it will then last me for some time. I shall probably end up with three of these light modifiers. First results from just one are good and two or three of them would certainly be able to give soft fairly natural light (Maybe as fills or replacement for ambient light) to a larger area.
I was using a Vivitar 283 flash set on half power and radio slaves to fire it. The paper latern was £2 from B & Q and my rope was washing line!
It isn’t something I will always use because soft light is not always what you want but even when you want better modelling it could be a good fill light.

And another shot

More shots on my Blog.
http://roblesliephotography.blogspot.com/
The shots on the Blog open to 1200 pixels.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this excellent idea!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Great idea!!! Reply with quote

Nice one.. excellent idea in very best make do and mend tradition!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea indeed...
I have a couple of Vivitar's (HV285) that just told me they were interested... Laughing

Thanks Rob!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeFanch wrote:
Excellent idea indeed...
I have a couple of Vivitar's (HV285) that just told me they were interested... Laughing

Thanks Rob!

Nice one I have 2 285HV and 2 283. IMO about the best small flash units ever made.
I have used Vivitar 283 since the 1970s but was lucky to get 4 new units and most useful accessories (sensor extensions, Vari power for 283, mains) when Vivitar UK here in Swindon closed. We had probably over 100 flash units down the Photo Society and they sold the lot in one evening. Some of the lenses are still in the store cupboard after 2/3 years!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 285HV is it 283 safe also for DSLR cameras ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas Attila.

The later made in China is the safe Vivitar 283. the older models are marked made in Japen and could be high sync volt.
The 285HV is safe but the older plain 285 is not.
It is easy to check your sync voltage or a friendly garage would do it for you. Use a volt meter one contact on the centre pin of the flash unit hotshoe the other on the metal strip you see inside the grove that mounts the gun to the camera hotshoe (Hope that is clear) as soon as the circuit is made the gun will fire and the voltage will be displayed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Rob! Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I have been thinking of using these myself. I bought a few white ones and also some mulitcolored to play with. After seeing your results, I am sure I am going to have some fun Very Happy