Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Light leak
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Light leak Reply with quote

Hi All,

as many of you will know I often use a Lubitel 2. It was a free gift and is surprisingly sharp for a simple triplet camera. I use it more than my Yashicamat 124G simply because it is smaller, lighter and stuffs in my camera bag along with my 35mm SLRs. I also rather like the slightly unpredictable nature of the framing and focusing. My only gripe is that I have what I assume is a light leak. See photo below. If my understanding is correct this must be from the bottom of the back where the hinge is? I often cover this with black tape, but it doesn't always make a difference. Is it possible that something else is the problem? It only seems to impact on images with a bright sky like this one.

I know the lomo crowd would embrace the flaws but it just serves to annoy me!

Thanks, Kris.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kris,

It's likely along the bottom, assuming your camera places the images on frame upside-down. If you have a number of frames with the leak damage in the same places on each frame, then it's happening while the negative is in place waiting to have the picture taken. If the light damage moves with successive images, then the leak is in a different place, near where the film is taken up. Since the take-up spool has a slightly wider diameter each exposure, the light damage would move slightly. So, basically, the leaks' location relative to the frame placement ought to tell you where the leak is in the camera.

Light leaks, for me, are not part of a photo's 'charm.' It's a sign that I need to cut a $75 check for another camera repair.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just gave up on my lubitel 2 and sold it. I liked the image output as much as you but the focusing bothered me so I almost never loaded the thing.

As far as the light leak, the hinge is usually the weak spot. There's not enough clearance when the back is closed to put a thick piece of felt in place but if you can find some thin adhesive backed flocking material that might sure-up the difference and stop the leak. It worked for me.

Also, make sure the camera is closing all the way (and staying closed) too. I know that's sort of stupid to say to as experienced photographer as you but sometimes one can overlook the simple stuff. The metal clips that hold the back may be letting it come loose just a little bit.