Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Shade for Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2 M42 17 blades?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Lens Shade for Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2 M42 17 blades? Reply with quote

Just bought a Carl Zeiss Jena (Red *T) Biotar 58mm f2 M42 17 blades silver version.

I found a site that says it takes a 40.5mm filter size. anyone know if that's correct?

Here's the little beast:

[/img]
^the seller's pic- not mine!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filter should be 49mm. At least that's the size that worked for my Biotar.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frenched. Is your Biotar a silver one with 17 blades?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Thanks Frenched. Is your Biotar a silver one with 17 blades?

The late semi-automatic is 49mm. I have one. But yours is likely 40.5. They are really small aren't they? The 49mm Biotars are fairly big lumps.

If you don't have a vernier, place a ruler over the end of the lens and measure the inside diameter. i.e from one inside to the other. It'll be rough, but it should match to a 'standard' size, like 40.5mm, or 49mm etc..

NB: That's if it is designed to take an internal thread filter/hood and not a clamp type. I say that because I can't see threads in your pic.

Otherwise hold on, as someone is bound to have one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks muchly, Frenched.

I won't have the lens for about a week. Was hoping top order a shade sooner.

Yes, it's a rather tiny lens. Can't wait to give it a workout.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Was hoping top order a shade sooner.

I believe Sciolist is right, yours is 40.5mm filter thread. Seems only the manual version came with 17 blades. Great lens, have fun with it.

https://www.casualphotophile.com/2019/02/13/carl-zeiss-jena-biotar-58mm-f-2-lens-review/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Exakta mount 5.8cm F2 Biotar uses the same 40.5mm filters as the 5cm F1.5 and F2 Sonnars, also same as 13.5cm F4 Sonnar.
I just put a Zeiss 40.5mm filter on it to verify. Beautiful lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
Kram wrote:
Was hoping top order a shade sooner.

I believe Sciolist is right, yours is 40.5mm filter thread. Seems only the manual version came with 17 blades. Great lens, have fun with it.

https://www.casualphotophile.com/2019/02/13/carl-zeiss-jena-biotar-58mm-f-2-lens-review/

That's a great link- thanks!
Also thanks to 51.6!

I took a chance and bought this. May be original bakelite?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed it has a screw protruding from the lens barrel. Hope it's not an issue. Oh wait, is that what locks the aperture setting down?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:

I took a chance and bought this. May be original bakelite? ...

May be just 100% loveliness. Really nice piece that, Kram Like 1 .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
May be original bakelite?

Cool if it is. Interesting there's Russian on the label. Sign of the times?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Just noticed it has a screw protruding from the lens barrel. Hope it's not an issue. Oh wait, is that what locks the aperture setting down?

Don't think so. This ring seems to hold in some of the lens elements and looks like the screws travel in a channel when the aperture ring is turned. Here's a guy dissassembling your lens and might shed some light on what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwO7AhSV_8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
Kram wrote:

Don't think so. This ring seems to hold in some of the lens elements and looks like the screws travel in a channel when the aperture ring is turned. Here's a guy dissassembling your lens and might shed some light on what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwO7AhSV_8

Weird. Hope someone didn't try to force the wrong size screw in.
Sad

If I took that lens apart, I wouldn't be able to get it back together to save my soul!
Much respect top those who can.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:

My Exakta mount lens has three set screws flush with the aperture ring- as would be expected.

I'm guessing that a set screw was missing and this one was substituted for it. It's hard to get the correct set screws- usually have to buy parts lenses to get them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:

My Exakta mount lens has three set screws flush with the aperture ring- as would be expected.

I'm guessing that a set screw was missing and this one was substituted for it. It's hard to get the correct set screws- usually have to buy parts lenses to get them.

Yes, that makes sense. As long as it it works, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the lens. Oh so tiny! I'm in love.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll ever get tired of the fine quality of bokeh produced by these biotars. Good to read it's worked out Like 1 .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a sweetie. Congrats! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I don't think I'll ever get tired of the fine quality of bokeh produced by these biotars. Good to read it's worked out Like 1 .

Thanks guys. It is such a sweet little thing!

Expect samples soonish.