Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Hoods?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Lens Hoods? Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm an avid user of lens hoods with my AF lenses for the reduced flare and extra protection they offer, and would like to get some for my M42 lenses as well. With the AF lenses it's easy to find the correct hood, but when looking for some for my MF lenses it wasn't as easy as I imagined; most sellers list no information of what focal lengths the hood in question is good for. Ideally I'm looking for hoods that offer the best flare protection but also without vignetting or interfering with the field of view. So I decided to register after having browsed these forums for some time, and ask the experts. Smile

These are the focal lengths and filter diameters I'm looking to find hoods for, so if you know of a rubber or metal hood that would work well I'd really appreciate it! Or just some general pointers which hood types work well with what focal lengths. They will all be used full-frame.

35mm FL-->58mm filter thread
50mm FL-->49mm filter thread
58mm FL-->52mm filter thread
85mm FL-->49mm filter thread
135mm FL->55mm filter thread
200mm FL->58mm filter thread

I'm very grateful for all tips! Thanks!
-Solidpace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Ebay and/or send pm to Alex (hk300) he is our in house supplier from HK.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of 3-in-1 collapsible rubber hoods. You can find them cheaply on ebay.

If shooting on a DSLR with a crop sensor you can use a deeper hood than recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Look at Ebay and/or send pm to Alex (hk300) he is our in house supplier from HK.

Hi,

Yes, eBay has hundreds of different hoods, but so far I've not seen any of them specify which focal length it can be used on for least flare, but still not vignetting. I just wonder if there is a 'best hood' type/size for each of the focal lengths someone could recommend?
I've had a look at the hoods hk300 has, looks very promising, thank you for the tip!

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have a couple of 3-in-1 collapsible rubber hoods. You can find them cheaply on ebay.

If shooting on a DSLR with a crop sensor you can use a deeper hood than recommended.

The collapsible hoods sound like a great idea! Not the same uncertainty whether or not a hood will vignette/show in the image. I definitely will have a good look at those!
I'll use the hoods mostly with a crop camera, but also venture into shooting some film sometimes, so I'm looking for hoods that work full-frame also.

Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all trial-and-error I'm afraid.

Usually a cylindrical metal hood sold as a "normal" will work on 35mm on full frame.

Consider the "normal" hoods good for 35-85mm

Most "tele" hoods are good for 135mm+, because most tele hoods aren't really long enough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to E-bay, and look under the "Sonia and Asian" brand name of lens hoods. You'll find many screw-on metal lens hoods under those names. Many in wide-angle too.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for the replies!

I've ordered some metal hoods off eBay based on your advice, hoping for the best regarding vignette and effectiveness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Lens Hoods? Reply with quote

1. With a zoom, the hood has to work for the lowest focal length, which means that it will not be as effective at some higher focal length.

2. It's easy to make usable temporary hoods with black construction paper plus tape. These can be adjusted by retaping after some trial-and-error.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the metal hood works for you!

But in case you want something easier to store and move around, the Hoya rubber multi-hood might work out for you.

Looking at your lens line-up...

35mm FL-->58mm filter thread
50mm FL-->49mm filter thread
58mm FL-->52mm filter thread
85mm FL-->49mm filter thread
135mm FL->55mm filter thread
200mm FL->58mm filter thread

I would get ONE rubber multi hood in 62mm or 67mm or even 72mm! (larger for more breathing room and versatility) and slap step-up rings on all the lenses, OR

get one smaller series hood in 58mm for the lenses up to the 58mm FL, and a larger series hood and fpr the longer FLs and appropriate step-up rings.

I think different people would have different approaches, so a lot depends on personal preferences.