Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

lens hoods- ?? about use
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: lens hoods- ?? about use Reply with quote

I have come far enough along to choose the size/type of lens before I go to shoot. I do have some aftermarket rubber hoods. My Leica has one with the Elmarit 90. I know that I need to find one for the Summarit lens and this is the only one that I have experienced any problems with. I have to check to see where my strongest light is at so that I don't have reflection on my film.
I really haven't had any problems like this on any of my other lenses.
In my understanding, this would be the only reason that I would need a hood on the lens. This has been one of those simple questions that has been in the back of my mind for some time. So, if someone could give me a simple answer to this based on experience.......... Confused

Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens hood does two things: like you said - cuts down on the chances of noticeable flare but also increases contrast for really bright scenes. Sun beating down on that front element may not always cause a streak of flare but it will reduce overall contrast. I imagine in Alaska the snow must always present difficulties. Just be sure to get a hood that is the proper size for your lenses or you'll get vignetting or not enough sun blockage.

Hope that's the answer you were looking for...
~Marc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of lens hoods, has anyone tried using the 3 position rubber hoods yet?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and it protects the front lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my strong opinion.
Use of a lens hood is the single most effective way to get the most from your lenses.
I always use one.
They provide protection from sun flares, contrast lowering stray light, and damage.
Having a hood on the lens will give you the confidence that you have done all you can to put your lens in a position to perform it's best.

Sounds like an advertisement Laughing