Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens fitting Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Lens fitting Identification Reply with quote

Hi folks,

My daughter has brought home a lens she picked up in a second hand shop.

She knows I use M42 Russian lenses on my Canon DSLR and thought she was getting me something I could use.

However, it's not an M42 fit...

There is a 42mm screw thread, but also a small lug which prevents the aperture being opened if I connect it to an M42 adapter.

Can anyone identify the fitting for me, and maybe suggest whether I will be able to use it on my Canon...?

The lens is a Sigma - Z Pantel 135mm f2.8.

The end cap shows the letters "PE" with the Sigma Logo.

She paid £25.00 for it, so was maybe stung...

Thanks,

Dougie.

[img][/img]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Lens fitting Identification Reply with quote

Bloosman wrote:
Hi folks,

My daughter has brought home a lens she picked up in a second hand shop.

She knows I use M42 Russian lenses on my Canon DSLR and thought she was getting me something I could use.

However, it's not an M42 fit...

There is a 42mm screw thread, but also a small lug which prevents the aperture being opened if I connect it to an M42 adapter.

Can anyone identify the fitting for me, and maybe suggest whether I will be able to use it on my Canon...?

The lens is a Sigma - Z Pantel 135mm f2.8.

The end cap shows the letters "PE" with the Sigma Logo.

She paid £25.00 for it, so was maybe stung...

Thanks,

Dougie.

[img][/img]

Looks like m42 the lug is an auto pin if there is not an auto/manual overide you will need to make it stay depressed, something like remove and fit with a bic pen tubing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks...

The small rectangular lug was tightening onto the adapter, preventing the aperture rotating...

I've removed this lug, and everything seems to be functioning correctly.

Will post some images taken with the lens for info...

Can't see is beating my Jupiter 11a 135mm though...Smile

Dougie.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the Jupiter 11A one of the most underrated lenses ever i love my 2x 11A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 11A is excellent, but I sold mine because I have two 11s that are even better and they are much smaller and lighter, ideal for use on my NEX.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lens fitting Identification Reply with quote

Bloosman wrote:
[...]However, it's not an M42 fit[...]

Welcome Dougie!

Sigma lens for Pentax Spotmatic F, ES, and ESII cameras. Lens is M42 mount, with aperture-coupling.

I suspect your M42-EOS adapter is the type with a flange that depresses the diaphragm pin; the lens aperture coupling tab is a little too long, hits the flange on the adapter, prevents turning the aperture ring.

The aperture ring looks like the type that turns two directions -- one way for "auto-aperture" cameras, the aperture stays wide open until the pin is depressed; the other way for manual, the aperture closes as ring is turned.

Suggest using M42-EOS adapter type without flange.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi visualopsins,

I tried two adapters, one with a flange, the other without.

The flanged version depressed the pin, but tightened onto the rectangular lug which is connected to the aperture ring. This effectively prevented the aperture from opening/closing.

The other adapter allowed the pin to remain extended, which also prevented the aperture opening.

So...I removed the lug, used the adapter with the flange, pushing in the pin, and bingo, everything works...

Dougie.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because it's sigma lens i think you are missing the mount. sigma used ys-mount like tamron had adaptall interchangeable mount