Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens filter ring vice?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Lens filter ring vice? Reply with quote

Do those lens filter ring vices really work in removing dings in filter rings?

If not, is there another way that doesn't mangle?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My technician use something successfully after recovering hard to recognize genuine damage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they that hard to straighten?

I have a dinged nameplate on my Chinon, thanks to the postman. That's the only fault with it and would like to get it back to 100%.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those tools, and my results have been okay but not perfect: the vise straightens a dent by pushing against the ring on the opposite side, and in some cases this can cause deformation on the good side before the dent is straight. Also, since it only pushes from one side, it may not completely straighten the kinks at the edges of the dent. My short answer is that if you just want to make the filter ring usable again the vise will probably do that, but if you want a good cosmetic repair it's not likely to be good enough.

The best tools for this are probably the wooden blocks with circular notches at the top sized to fit the lens ring. You set the dented part of the lens in this and then pound the dent out from inside with a wooden stick and a hammer. If the block and stick are a good fit, you can get a very good repair this way, although it is slower.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, providing you can get the ring out. Mine's stuck fast so it looks like the threads may need cleaning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you do this with the lens still assembled.