Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Canada pre-asph. Summicron 90mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

super

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the color fringing or CA on the Minolta 100? We don’t have the same version summicron so traits may differ but my version has extremely well controlled CA for a telephoto of that era. No it’s not APO but it’s much closer to any other telephoto in that range. The elmarit version 2 in comparison has worse CA/color fringing.

I primarily only use two vintage telephotos. The summicron and the Jupiter 37a and both for the same reason. For vintage lenses they are as clean as I have found for CA/color fringing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
How is the color fringing or CA on the Minolta 100? We don’t have the same version summicron so traits may differ but my version has extremely well controlled CA for a telephoto of that era. No it’s not APO but it’s much closer to any other telephoto in that range. The elmarit version 2 in comparison has worse CA/color fringing.

I primarily only use two vintage telephotos. The summicron and the Jupiter 37a and both for the same reason. For vintage lenses they are as clean as I have found for CA/color fringing.

I guess you mean the 100/2.5 (5/5 versions)? Some fringing wide open under difficult conditions, gone @f/4. Don’t know how it compares to the old Summicron, but I find the overall performance of the Minolta very impressive. Great for landscape, great for portrait, perfect bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know about the 100 F2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Leitz Canada pre-asph. Summicron 90mm f/2 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Read good things about the Elmarit, which is obviously better for traveling or hikes, but I was looking for something slightly faster for extra creamy backgrounds.

Like 1 small

In this case, I will recommend the 105mm f/2 DC Nikkor.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Leitz Canada pre-asph. Summicron 90mm f/2 Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Read good things about the Elmarit, which is obviously better for traveling or hikes, but I was looking for something slightly faster for extra creamy backgrounds.

Like 1 small

In this case, I will recommend the 105mm f/2 DC Nikkor.

Excellent lens, but I was looking for something less perfect (vintage look).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a hold of the Leica Compendium where it has MTF charts for all the lenses including the older ones and this 6 element summicron has good performance. It has much more contrast wide open than the 5 element Summicron-R 90.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I got a hold of the Leica Compendium where it has MTF charts for all the lenses including the older ones and this 6 element summicron has good performance. It has much more contrast wide open than the 5 element Summicron-R 90.

Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

It looks like this was a design direction that Leica went during a particular period of time. The 6 element summicron 90 became a 5 element. The 5 element Elmarit 90 became a 4 element. The 7 element Summicron 50 became a 6 element. The 8 element summicron 35 became a 6 element then became a 7 element.

My understanding is they were willing to give up some resolution in order to get better contrast. Those older designs using more elements are some of the most interesting lenses, however.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more images I took this morning with the Summicron (click for full size):
Summicron902113 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Summicron902112 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Summicron902110 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Summicron902107 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Summicron902106 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Summicron902105 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Summicron902104bw by devoscasper, on Flickr

Summicron902103 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an amazing piece of glass, I will ever miss mine (several of them, really) Laugh 1