Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica M Mount Lenses. Can you identify what lens was used?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
. . . However, there are quite a lot of lenses that are sharp wide open but don't look that sharp due to less than perfect corrections at that aperture. One good example is the Pancolar 1.8/50, it is sharp wide open but residual aberrations mask that somewhat.

Ian - I'm maybe a bit slow on the uptake today because I can't quite figure out how a lens can be sharp but not actually look sharp. Help the slow and aging, please Smile

Misuse of the word sharp. There's the actual resolution that the lens can resolve and the perceived sharpness, the latter being a function of both resolution and contrast.

A lens can have fairly high resolution wide open but not so high perceived sharpness due to lower contrast and residual aberrations is what I should have said I suppose.

You can see it with the Pancolar 1.8/50, shots taken wide open don't look all that sharp, but pump up the contrast in photoshop and you can see there is plenty of resolved detail there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Leica M Mount Lenses. Can you identify what lens was use Reply with quote

I always look forward to your posts and greatly admire your work, Matt. Thanks very much for sharing your photography.