Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica glass on Nikon bodies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Leica glass on Nikon bodies Reply with quote

I have read quite a few postings to various Nikon-groups about the Nikon bayonets made by Leitax, which enable you to use most Leica-R lenses with Nikon bodies.
I have 3, which I bought four years ago for my Leica R8, all of them used. The best is the (new version) of the 19mm Elmarit, which I got from a professional photographer with failing eye-sight, who switched to Canon AF. He asked for € 670, and I fortunately had some money put away for this kind of occasion.
I was always very sorry that due to technical issues Leica lenses cannot be used with an adapter on Nikon bodies, but Leitax came up with a solution: you simply remove the Leica bayonet and replace it with a Nikon bayonet, provided by Leitax.
The package arrived this weekend (excellent, very quick service), and I just converted the 90mm Elmarit and the 180mm Apo-Telyt.
I'm not used to finicky work, my favourite tool is a sledgehammer, but even I managed to unscrew 6 screws, take the Leica bayonet off, and replace it with the Nikon bayonet.
The Elmarit took me 8 minutes or so, as I had problems getting the bayonet off. The Apo-Telyt was done in 4 minutes flat.
You can easily change back to the Leica bayonets, which is nice, if you feel like shooting film with a Leica camera again.

The 19mm Elmarit seems to be a little more problematical, as you have to file down a little of the rim around the back-lense, so it doesn't protrude too far into the camera and interferes with the work of the mirror. But even this (which I won't do myself), doesn't prevent you to use the lense again with a Leica body.

This weekend I'll go out with the 90mm and 180mm and take some pictures. I wonder if these lenses perform better than the Nikkor 85/1.8 and the 180mm/2.8 ED. Let's se.

Thomas

P.S. Here is the link to the Leitax page, where you can also find instructions for changeing the bayonets for various lenses:

http://www.leitax.com/leica-lens-for-nikon-cameras.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. I am sure a lot of us will be eagerly awaiting your photos from this "new" lens on your Nikon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also shocked at how easy it was.... god bless leitax.