Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica CL + LTM Lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Leica CL + LTM Lenses? Reply with quote

Hi,

So there I was, trolling around online, and not really thinking about buying a film camera; I shoot digital nowadays, and I've already got a few dozen film cameras sitting idle on various shelves around the house.

But I was presented with one of those "can't-pass-it-up" opportunities, and I am now the proud owner of a Leica CL with the 40/2 lens. It looks to be in nice shape, but I can't know that for sure until it's in my hands.

I've done a little reading about this model - it's one I've always had some interest in - so I know that the short rangefinder base length imposes limitations on the lenses that can be effectively used, and that the camera lacks framelines for certain focal lengths. That said: assuming the camera is working well, and assuming that I want to explore beyond the standard lens, does anyone have any recommendations for LTM lenses that might be worth investigating - that is to say, LTM lenses that are known to work satisfactorily, with an adapter, on the CL?

My initial inclination is to think Russian, if only because the camera itself was very much an impulse purchase - at a rather low purchase price - so I don't know that I can justify buying any additional Leica M (or even CV M-mount) lenses for it. On the other hand, something like the Elmar 90/4, which often seems to be available at a price lower than that of the "correct" 90/4 CL lens, might be an option.

Anyway - I'd be very grateful for any suggestions!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jon!
A nice thing to have! Any LTM lens in good order should work properly with a decent quality bayonet adapter - so long as it's appropriate to the camera body (135s can be a problem, so it seems).

I'd start by looking for a clean post-war coated 90mm Elmar. It's a nice lens, scales well with the body and can still be bought fairly cheaply in either screw or M fitting. Russian lenses (as everyone will tell you) are a bit of a gamble, when they're good they're good, and when they're bad they're horrid. The 85/2 now sells for inflated prices as well.

The 'special' 90 for the CL sells for around £200 on eBay UK. I had one soon after it came out and I was never really knocked out by it. Very nice, but not as good as the Elmarit or Tele-Elmarit, I thought. Still, that's like saying 90% is way behind 94% and 95% - ! A bit unreasonable, really.

I'm not sure if the 35mm Jupiter's protruding back element will actually fit into the CL body - be wise to check if you fancy one.

Leitz wide angles tend to sell for high prices, so do Canon ones. The CV ones are the best value for money, if you want to spend CV prices. I think a 21mm CV with the 40mm Summicron-C and a decent 90mm would be great traveller's outfit!

Have fun with it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CL is a really fun camera to shoot and that Summicron c 2/40 is outstanding.
I no longer have the CL or summicron but did about 6 months ago pick up a pair of M Rokkor CLE 2/40 lenses and there is one glued to my RD1 currently.
It is the same lens as the Cron c but with later coatings.

There is a 2.8/28mm available for the camera but it is expensive and difficult to find.
I would suggest to try a CV 3.5/28 or 4/25 at that FL length. Also Steves suggestion of a 21mm is a great one. The CV 4/21 is inexpensive and excellent.
The CL looks and works great with an acc. Viewfinder so don't hesitate to go wider than the framelines.

As for longer I have the CLE version of the f4/90mm and it is excellent. It's also for sale so drop me a line if interested.
Currently I am using the much physically larger and less aesthetically nice CV 3.5/90 leaving the CLE lens available.

Cheers
~A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you so much for the excellent suggestions!

I do hope this camera turns out to be a user; I'm very glad to know that there are some worthwhile (and not terribly costly) lens options out there. Once I've had the chance to try it out, I'll sort out the lens choices.

The cameraquest article on the CL seems to say that all CV Leica-mount lenses will fit. So even a 12mm or a 15mm would be a possibility. Hmmm...

Cheers,

Jon