Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Wow very interesting but one point you missed is the TC doesn't have the brightest viewfinder compared to other cameras...there must be a reason for this Question

I have never conducted any detailed comparisons between the brightness of Konica viewfinders and that of other cameras. I know that the viewfinders in Konica's older mechanical SLRs, up to and including the T3N, were considered to be a bit on the dark side, but no more than, say, those of Minolta's SRTs, for example. I have a SRT-101 and a T3N sitting here and their level of brightness is very similar. But the TC actually had the brightest viewfinder Konica had offered until then. Konica's brightest viewfinders came with the electronic models, all of which have the same viewfinder.

Last edited by konicamera on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for this great summary!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Wow very interesting but one point you missed is the TC doesn't have the brightest viewfinder compared to other cameras...there must be a reason for this Question

I have never conducted any detailed comparisons between the brightness of Konica viewfinders and that of other cameras. I know that the viewfinders in Konica's older mechanical SLRs, up to and including the T3N, were considered to be a bit on the dark side, but no more than, say, those of Minolta's SRTs, for example. I have a SRT-101 and a T3N sitting here and their level of brightness is very similar. But the TC actually had the brightest viewfinder Konica had offered until then. Konica's brightest viewfinders came with the electronic models, all of which have the same viewfinder.

My problem with the FT1s is they either work, half work, or don't, and the badly designed contacts in the battery holder that break (two holders so far U/S), yesterday I bought another clean FT1 body for £5 at the boot sale and luckily when I took the battery holder off, I manage to catch a tiny contact, that must of broken off, before it was lost on the floor, well I super glued it back in place. Now why didn't they use the FS1 battery holder on the FT1 Rolling Eyes
Anyway yesterday I thought my luck was in with the £5 purchase as everything seemed to work (well the flash doesn't work as usual with this model) Very Happy but the first curtain on the shutter doesn't move only the 2nd one, I was fooled initially as by sound it was firing at all shutter speeds. Crying or Very sad so another door stop.
If the FT1 was the best that Konica could offer when cameras like the advanced Canon T90 was around, it doesn't surprised me Konica dropped out of the market.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
My problem with the FT1s is they either work, half work, or don't, and the badly designed contacts in the battery holder that break (two holders so far U/S), yesterday I bought another clean FT1 body for £5 at the boot sale and luckily when I took the battery holder off, I manage to catch a tiny contact, that must of broken off, before it was lost on the floor, well I super glued it back in place. Now why didn't they use the FS1 battery holder on the FT1 Rolling Eyes
Anyway yesterday I thought my luck was in with the £5 purchase as everything seemed to work (well the flash doesn't work as usual with this model) Very Happy but the first curtain on the shutter doesn't move only the 2nd one, I was fooled initially as by sound it was firing at all shutter speeds. Crying or Very sad so another door stop.
If the FT1 was the best that Konica could offer when cameras like the advanced Canon T90 was around, it doesn't surprised me Konica dropped out of the market.

I did miss the battery holder problem. It is not the best design to say the least: The housing wall supporting the battery contacts is too thin to resist the continued tension of the springs and cracks over time. There is an AA battery holder made especially for the FT-1. It is somewhat reminiscent of the FS-1s battery holder and much sturdier. It also makes for a larger grip.

BTW, the FT-1 came out in 1983, at a time when there were just a few such cameras on the market. One of them was the T-50, the first of Canon's T-series, also introduced in 1983. If I remember, it was Canon’s first camera to use an electronically-controlled vertically-travelling metal shutter since the Canon EL (1972) [CORRECTION: I mean the Canon EF, not EL. Thanks OH Smile]. It was a program mode only camera - not unlike the FP-1 Konica introduced two years earlier - with motorized film advance thrown it.

The Canon T-90 in turn was introduced 3 years later. It was a camera aimed directly at the professional segment of the market and was meant as an upgrade for the Canon New F-1. It was probably the most sophisticated 35mm SLR in existence when introduced. In contrast, the FT-1 was an advanced amateur camera. The two cameras are of an entirely different league, and comparing them seems pointless.

But once again, let’s keep things in perspective. The T-90 is almost 30 years old today and has its own share of problems: Dead digital displays, sticking shutters (due, interestingly, to a foam/rubber element turning to mush over time) and, yes, broken battery housings. If you bought 5 of them today, I suspect you would likely find that they also “either work, half work, or don't.”

Coming back to the FT-1, I suggest you consider replacing the foam strips I mentioned in the paragraph about the FT-1. If you are manually inclined you can do it in an hour or so. There is a step-by-step explanation of the process at http://www.flickr.com/photos/15235665@N04/sets/72157623203627474/ . This foam issue really seems to be the solution to most problems with this camera’s operation. Failing this, to get a working FT-1, I suggest buying one from a reputed Ebay seller offering a guarantee with a return policy. They (sellers and FT-1s) are out there. Of course, I am sure the foam strip replacement issue will come upon you sooner or later. You might, of course, get lucky with your next £5 boot sale deal, but IMO chances of getting a fully functioning FT-1 this way are slim.

Last edited by konicamera on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

I did miss battery holder problem. It is not the best design to say the least: The housing wall supporting the battery contacts is too thin to resist the continued tension of the springs and cracks over time. There is an AA battery holder made especially for the FT-1. It is somewhat reminiscent of the FS-1s battery holder and much sturdier. It also makes for a larger grip.

BTW, the FT-1 came out in 1983, at a time when there were just a few such cameras on the market. One of them was the T-50, the first of Canon's T-series, also introduced in 1983. If I remember, it was Canon’s first camera to use an electronically-controlled vertically-travelling metal shutter since the Canon EL (1972). It was a program mode only camera - not unlike the FP-1 Konica introduced two years earlier - with motorized film advance and rewind thrown it.

The Canon T-90 in turn was introduced 3 years later. It was a camera aimed directly at the professional segment of the market and was meant as an upgrade for the Canon New F-1. It was probably the most sophisticated 35mm SLR in existence when introduced. In contrast, the FT-1 was an advanced amateur camera. The two cameras are of an entirely different league, and comparing them seems pointless.

But once again, let’s keep things in perspective. The T-90 is almost 30 years old today and has its own share of problems: Dead digital displays, sticking shutters (due, interestingly, to a foam/rubber element turning to mush over time) and, yes, broken battery housings. If you bought 5 of them today, I suspect you would likely find that they also “either work, half work, or don't.”

Coming back to the FT-1, I suggest you consider replacing the foam strips I mentioned in the paragraph about the FT-1. If you are manually inclined you can do it in an hour or so. There is a step-by-step explanation of the process at http://www.flickr.com/photos/15235665@N04/sets/72157623203627474/ . This foam issue really seems to be the solution to most problems with this camera’s operation. Failing this, to get a working FT-1, I suggest buying one from a reputed Ebay seller offering a guarantee with a return policy. They (sellers and FT-1s) are out there. Of course, I am sure the foam strip replacement issue will come upon you sooner or later. You might, of course, get lucky with your next £5 boot sale deal, but IMO chances of getting a fully functioning FT-1 this way are slim.

I think maybe you are referring to the Canon EF with the vertical metal F/P shutter. ( Please correct me if I am wrong). It was my all time favourite camera after the FTb. I lusted after a T90, but even in 2004 they were selling for around US$500, so I could never justify the cost. Interestingly, most FTb's and EF's are still going strong, but not the T-90's methinks.
I wish I could add to the Konica discussion, but sadly cannot.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Konicamera and will have a go to solve the first shutter not working on my latest FT1, but I'm usually lucky with old cameras that work, but very unlucky with the FT1 and out of three...one was dead and one works ok except it wont work with a Konica flashgun, but it was annoying in that there was no display in the view finder, but after about a year the diodes lit up Shocked h'mm maybe the foam has deteriorated that you mentioned. But as I'm so unlucky with the FT1 it could suggest there is a lot non working or non fully working FT1s.......being dumped.
I know you love your Konica cameras, but I only have favourites for the cameras I trust and don't love any..so I can be open minded and just cannot see anything special about the later Konica cameras and you have to admit Konica flashguns are crap compared to the Canon 300tl and Minolta 360fx.
regards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

I think maybe you are referring to the Canon EF with the vertical metal F/P shutter. ( Please correct me if I am wrong). It was my all time favourite camera after the FTb. I lusted after a T90, but even in 2004 they were selling for around US$500, so I could never justify the cost. Interestingly, most FTb's and EF's are still going strong, but not the T-90's methinks.
Cheers
OH

You are absolutely right! It is the Canon EF. I'll correct it right away.
It is a beautifully made camera. I didn't use it for very long, but I still have an FTb (second version), which I occasionally take out for a walk with the FL 55/1.2. The FTb and EF were some of the best Canons ever made IMO

Last edited by konicamera on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Cheers
OH

You are absolutely right! It is the Canon EF. I'll correct it right away.
It is a beautifully made camera. I didn't use it for very long, but I still have an FTb (second version), which I occasionally take out for a walk with the FL 55/1.2. The FTb and EF were some of the best Canons ever made IMO.

I've still got my FTb and EF, but shoot mostly digital these days.
Sigh ..............

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oldhand"]
konicamera wrote:
, but shoot mostly digital these days.
Sigh ..............

At the boot sales I've noticed the plastic fantastic digital zoom lenses are starting to filter down, which could suggest they have a limited life or maybe the old ones are not as good as the new ones.....................

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Thanks for the link Konicamera and will have a go to solve the first shutter not working on my latest FT1, but I'm usually lucky with old cameras that work, but very unlucky with the FT1 and out of three...one was dead and one works ok except it wont work with a Konica flashgun, but it was annoying in that there was no display in the view finder, but after about a year the diodes lit up Shocked h'mm maybe the foam has deteriorated that you mentioned. But as I'm so unlucky with the FT1 it could suggest there is a lot non working or non fully working FT1s.......being dumped.
I know you love your Konica cameras, but I only have favourites for the cameras I trust and don't love any..so I can be open minded and just cannot see anything special about the later Konica cameras and you have to admit Konica flashguns are crap compared to the Canon 300tl and Minolta 360fx.
regards

Yes, it is true. Many people just dump their defective FT-1s. Likely because they don’t know about the deteriorating foam issue. They suspect something with the “crappy electronics” and given that parts are no longer available, they see no point of holding on to them. After all, how many door stops and paper weights do you need on one house? Smile

It is not my aim to depict the FT-1 as a miracle camera. It’s just that the fix in the overwhelming majority of cases is easy as pie. I’ve done I myself on several cameras and I know half a dozen other Konica users who have as well. And when they work, they are a charm to use. I hope you get your FT-1s fixed and they succeed in winning your trust Smile

I wouldn’t say I love my Konicas. It’s just metal and plastic ingeniously put together. If I argue that Konica SLRs are, for the most part, solid and dependable cameras, I try to back this up with concrete, model-specific arguments and I hope I manage not to be emotional about it. It has been my experience that the technical glitches that crop up with Konica SLRs are not any more daunting that those of other makers and my long epistle was just my attempt to list them (I need to add the battery housing issue with the FT-1).

You are so right about the Konica flashes. Of the six largest OEMs, Konica had the least to offer in the accessories department. Nowhere can this be better seen than with the flashguns. The only decent one among them is the late X-36. But even this one is just an ordinary workhorse without much sophistication. Konica’s electronic cameras had a form of semi-automation, but no TTL flash metering. But this is all I can say about it, because I am not very knowledgeable about flash use.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I trust my TC, and it's usually my second camera for daytime scenery etc when on holiday and esp when I can now use my extra recent M42 CZJ 35mm flek and 135mm Sonnar lenses.
BTW I haven't tested it on film, but the cheap Canon 277T flashgun seems to work with the FS1 i.e. at least it flashes when firing the shutter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I trust my TC, and it's usually my second camera for daytime scenery etc when on holiday and esp when I can now use my extra recent M42 CZJ 35mm flek and 135mm Sonnar lenses.
BTW I haven't tested it on film, but the cheap Canon 277T flashgun seems to work with the FS1 i.e. at least it flashes when firing the shutter.

Update...... the top is so easy to take off. Under the clamps was a lot of green gooey stuff, anyway put new foam underneath and re-assembled and ended up with a new feature...the shutter still doesn't work, but when I press the shutter button it starts the self timer Rolling Eyes
Well I can't be bothered to take it apart again so it's a door stop. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TC-X is made by Cosina and is a nasty cheap plastic toy compared to the real Konicas. I gave all three of the ones I've had away to friends.