Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 AE PROBLEM URGENT HELP NEEDED
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 AE PROBLEM URGENT HELP NEEDED Reply with quote

Hi eveybody my name is Alen and this is my first post and unfortunately i really need help. So i have Konica AR 50mm f1.4 with glass clean as new but i have had problem with focusing ring (free spinnig) and i have opened up my front name ring and removed focusing metal which was held by 3 screws and that was really easy and i went on and start cleaning heliocoid from dust and dust debris and i didnt want to disassemble it but unfortunately while cleaning outside i menage to unscrew 2 helicoids parts and now i cant find right way to put them together and after whole day of trying i finally put them together and i set my focus to have infinity but after putting everything back together i realize that i have even bigger problem now since my focusing ring keep spinning when i rotate to focus closer and eventually it just slips from the mount so basically i have hard stop when i focus to infinity but i dont have any stoping point when i am turning the ring in other direction. Please help and if someone know what to do it would be awesome if you could help since this lens is awesome and i love it Very Happy Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 AE PROBLEM URGENT HELP NEEDE Reply with quote

AMFotografie101 wrote:
Hi eveybody my name is Alen and this is my first post and unfortunately i really need help. So i have Konica AR 50mm f1.4 with glass clean as new but i have had problem with focusing ring (free spinnig) and i have opened up my front name ring and removed focusing metal which was held by 3 screws and that was really easy

This is where you should have stopped, and ask what is loose? What is letting the ring spin? A short investigation might have shown the issue is caused by those 3 screws being loose, their purpose is to hold the focus ring to the helicoid, it also doubles as an infinity stop adjustment, find the sharpest infinity, loosen the screws, turn the ring to the infinity stop, and tighten, ta-daa!

Now, if you want to go further to service it, now is the time to get a marking tool(a sharp length of solid steel wire), use this to add witness marks to help you reverse the slow motion explosion, it might take an attempt or two to get the alignment right, but it will be obvious when it is, where ever 2 parts come apart, make a mark on each that shows where things are aligned when at infinity, and if possible with the helicoid where it comes apart, this is important because there are many starts to the helicoid and you usually need it to start on the correct start position, you can always follow the threads from your witness marks, or see how far away your 2 marks are and when the 2 parts separated, rotate them that same distance and try again.
One thing that helps is a parts organizer, like an egg carton

Or, a small stack of short & wide cups(short & wide are harder to knock over) you'll only need a dozen or so, as you remove parts, stick them in a cup, then stack an empty cup on to pand start on the next part.

I use these

Putting things back together becomes much easier now, a few pictures along the way wouldn't hurt.
Quote:
and i went on and start cleaning heliocoid from dust and dust debris and i didnt want to disassemble it but unfortunately while cleaning outside i menage to unscrew 2 helicoids parts and now i cant find right way to put them together and after whole day of trying i finally put them together and i set my focus to have infinity but after putting everything back together i realize that i have even bigger problem now since my focusing ring keep spinning when i rotate to focus closer and eventually it just slips from the mount so basically i have hard stop when i focus to infinity but i dont have any stoping point when i am turning the ring in other direction. Please help and if someone know what to do it would be awesome if you could help since this lens is awesome and i love it Very Happy Tuzki with lens

You probably have the start position wrong, or missed a screw.
I'll have to see pictures or open up mine to guide you further.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized you said yours was the 50/1.4, I don't have the 50/1.4, I do have the 57/1.4 and the 50/1.7
They are likely different from yours, I only realized my error after opening up my 57/1.4
This is the infinity position of it.... Not that it will help you.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4607/39321782354_1d4e2a0254_b.jpg

Now I have to put it back together, and after that, I will decide if I want to touch my 50/1.7, which I do like and don't want to mess around with. Edit: I started looking into it, but decided to stop because I didn't want to harm a good sharp lens.

So, that leaves you to post some pictures, and I'll try and help as much as I can.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: THX a lot Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I just realized you said yours was the 50/1.4, I don't have the 50/1.4, I do have the 57/1.4 and the 50/1.7
They are likely different from yours, I only realized my error after opening up my 57/1.4
This is the infinity position of it.... Not that it will help you.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4607/39321782354_1d4e2a0254_b.jpg

Now I have to put it back together, and after that, I will decide if I want to touch my 50/1.7, which I do like and don't want to mess around with. Edit: I started looking into it, but decided to stop because I didn't want to harm a good sharp lens.

So, that leaves you to post some pictures, and I'll try and help as much as I can.

Thank you so much for your answer but i actually did find the way to put back all together (got few grey hairs more) after whole evening and day after i couldn't find the right way to screw two helicoids together to get other parts together but after trying to explain to my wife (which she didn't know what i am talking about) what is the problem i what i need to figure out I actually explain that to my self hahaha Very Happy so it all back together and i even set infinity focus at hard stop so i can shoot faster landscapes etc. After i put back helicoids and focusing ring i did secure the 3 screws with some nail paint and after that with 3 small spots of super glue (like 3 small dots) and after that i cleaned glass since this 50mm have so simple and nice design with every lens entitlements in one piece so no dust, fungus, oil can get inside. ITS LIKE NEW NOW AND I LOVE IT Very Happy here you can find me here https://www.flickr.com/photos/alendjuderija/39926383821 this one was before i have this problem and later on i will have more of them with cleaned and fixed lens and maaaan this one is sharp at f2.8-f8 and btw i have also 135mm f2.5 and that one is like a one month used lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you got it back together.
My 50/1.7 had a bit of oil on the blades but worked fine, but after opening it up and putting it back together the aperture is now sluggish, #%@&, so it needs a cleaning now. Oh well.