Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 1.8/40mm on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 1.8/40mm on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Hi folks

A few samples I shot yesterday in less than ideal light conditions, but I think this is a rather good lens, sharp, very little CA, good contrast and colours. I think this might become my walkaround lens as it's nice and small.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me, especially the last two shots look nice.
#6 has some purple fringing it seems (if nitpicking is allowed Smile ).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice results. i have this lens and really like it for street/landscape shooting, where i think it shows best results. personally, i'm not crazy about it for macro/close up/portraits, not that its bad for those, i just think it performs better at a distance. for example, close up i feel it doesnt compare well to the 57/1.4 or the 85/1.8. this is not meant as a criticism of these pictures or the lens, its only meant as a personal observation. i actually really like the one of the ornamental grass.

Last edited by rbelyell on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series! I love each images!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics, all of them!
Great all-round lens, excellent combination of small size and good performance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Nit-picking is most definitely okay with me, when dealing with good lenses, the differences are small so we have to nitpick!

Yes, there is purple fringing on the grass shot, I looked at the one of the ornamental lamp and that has a tiny bit of fringing too. Grass was shot wide open I think (or one stop down), lamp was at f8.

So I agree with Tony, this is a good lens for street shooting but there are others that are better for close-up work, I have 1.4, 1.7 and 1.8 50mm Hexanons and I think those have less CA wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDR series:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 to me from last HDR series excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Attila, I like that one too, there were many of these strange little duck houses around the pond, never seen them before.

I think this comparison shows how HDR is useful to me in times of less than ideal light (which is often):

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like all the hdr.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tony, HDR is a tricky thing to master but I think I'm getting there after a lot of trial and experimentation. It's a very useful tool, not least in bad light.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian if you may permit me i think that a great effect can be acheived without HDR giving a much more natural feel to the picture in this example i just think the HDR is to much Manga animation style

Here is an example done in 2 minutes in Aperture and NIK

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Attila, I like that one too, there were many of these strange little duck houses around the pond, never seen them before.

I think this comparison shows how HDR is useful to me in times of less than ideal light (which is often):

Last edited by eddieitman on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, you've definitely improved that single shot a lot Eddie, I've never heard of Aperture, will have to check it out. Which NIK program did you use, Color EFEX?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian you are out of luck as Aperture is only on MAC and i know you dislike them.
But it is a great tool.
I used the following
Aperture for autoenhance
Colour EFX 3.0 (standalone and was free from german site) to add a gradual filter for the sky set it to look as natural as possible
Then used Viveza 2.0 to adjust colours in specific areas.

Also not the best results from a small image and not RAW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Eddie, will come in handy as I often have to shoot in crappy light.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the reds are way OTT, the chimney pots are distracting, and the wreaths a bit bright for the ambience, which we can see in the clouds. It's a grey day, those reds are for bright sunshine.

But I like the landscapes a lot. If I was to be real picky, the one with the snow covered mountains - the areas of bracken are slightly over saturated. But that might be the result of getting the snow to be 'white' - which it is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the bracken is a bit ginger, should be more brown, but as you say, I was trying to get the snow to be white rather than pale gray.

Tis a fine line with HDR, step over it and you go into cartoon land.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Konica 1.8/40 is one of the best MF lenses in my opinion. You have done a great job with it. Must get myself one!!!