Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica AR Hexanon 52/1.8 upon Sony a7s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Konica AR Hexanon 52/1.8 upon Sony a7s Reply with quote

f/5.6 1/125 s; ISO 200

There is image in the full dimension:

https://i.ibb.co/KXFkxKr/DSC07473-min.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You exhibit its character well. Very very good lens. Available for the price of a six-pack of top quality beer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Very very good lens..

There exist tree kinds of that lens. First is the more old, with the silver ring. Second is the black one, the whole from metal. And the last – with the rubber ring.

My experience shows that optically best are the first kind, and the second. But second has better coating. The third one is much more inferior.

There was used the second kind. Which for my opinion is the best one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f/5.6 1/250 s; ISO 200

There is image in the full dimension:

https://i.ibb.co/kJ4djM7/DSC07492.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Very very good lens. Available for the price of a six-pack of top quality beer.

Hexanon AR 50mm f1.7 is even better. A bit more expensive though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 52 mm better than the 50/1,7-1,8?

The 50/1,7 AR came at least in 2 versions. The first is a bit warmer than the second.

I prefer the last one.

And the 50/1,8 with better coated and rendering wide open. Almost all plastic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

For my experience (I own nearly all around 50mm lenses) that last one, with the rubber ring, is inferior to all other lenses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:

My experience shows that optically best are the first kind, and the second. But second has better coating. The third one is much more inferior.

Strange - could you show us some 100% crops from the two lenses, taken side-by-side?

I agree that my 2nd gen AR 1.8/85mm is slighty sharper (24 Mp FF) than my later 3rd gen AR 1.8/85mm, but only when pixel-peeping. It also has warmer colors, indication different glass types.

Maybe there's something wrong with your 3rd gen AR 1.8/85mm?

S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

The 50/1,7 AR came at least in 2 versions. The first is a bit warmer than the second.

I prefer the last one.

IMO The 50 1.7 and 57 1.4 are the best of the affordable AR mount normals. The 57mm 1.2 is also superb, but increasingly expensive these days.

All of them produce the characteristic "earthy" Konica colors/look.

Konica seems to have had more FL and max aperture combinations in this range than any of the other Japanese manufactureres.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

I prefer the last one.

IMO The 50 1.7 and 57 1.4 are the best of the affordable AR mount normals. The 57mm 1.2 is also superb, but increasingly expensive these days.

All of them produce the characteristic "earthy" Konica colors/look.

Konica seems to have had more FL and max aperture.combinations in this range than any of the other Japanese manufacturers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is talking about the 85mm? Alex is sp3cifically referring ro the 50mm f/1.8, and everyone else here is talking about various normals.

stevemark wrote:
LittleAlex wrote:

Strange - could you show us some 100% crops from the two lenses, taken side-by-side?

I agree that my 2nd gen AR 1.8/85mm is slighty sharper (24 Mp FF) than my later 3rd gen AR 1.8/85mm, but only when pixel-peeping. It also has warmer colors, indication different glass types.

Maybe there's something wrong with your 3rd gen AR 1.8/85mm?

S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

I was able to recognize the dramatic difference immediately after I obtained Konica T with my first 52/1.8 (silver ring), in relation to 50/1.7 upon Konica TC, which I owned previously. Without any direct comparison. And the same story repeated when I obtained the second 50/1.7, hoping it should be better. So, it is not the difference in the samples. Only the colors were milder in relation to 52/1.8.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a great lens! nice shots

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Who is talking about the 85mm? Alex is sp3cifically referring ro the 50mm f/1.8, and everyone else here is talking about various normals.

Sorry, my mistake! I have mixed it up with the other thread by the LittleAlex about the AR 1.8/85mm:
http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-ar-hexanon-85-1-8-upon-sony-a7s-t84470.html

S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
stevemark wrote:

I was able to recognize the dramatic difference immediately after I obtained Konica T with my first 52/1.8 (silver ring), in relation to 50/1.7 upon Konica TC, which I owned previously. Without any direct comparison. And the same story repeated when I obtained the second 50/1.7, hoping it should be better. So, it is not the difference in the samples. Only the colors were milder in relation to 52/1.8.

Again - I have a made a mistake; I had your thread about the AR 1.8/85mm in mind while writing a response here in the AR 1.8/52mm thread ... SORRY!

I completely agree about what you said about AR 1.8/52mm vs AR 1.7/50mm.

S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:
Very very good lens..

There exist tree kinds of that lens. First is the more old, with the silver ring. Second is the black one, the whole from metal. And the last – with the rubber ring.

There was used the second kind. Which for my opinion is the best one.

This post has me confused. There appears to be only one all black version of the 52mm f1.8 and it's the final version (doesn't have AE marking). I couldn't find any version with AE and rubber grip. Can someone clarify?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNJ wrote:

This post has me confused. There appears to be only one all black version of the 52mm f1.8 and it's the final version (doesn't have AE marking). I couldn't find any version with AE and rubber grip. Can someone clarify?

There is all information concerning Konica AR system:

https://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eHexanonHaupt.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
DaveNJ wrote:

There is all information concerning Konica AR system:

https://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eHexanonHaupt.html

Correct I was using that site, Konicafiles, and another that the name escapes me right now as reference. There only appears to be one all black 52 f1.8 (final version) but your original post wording made it appear like there were two. Maybe I misunderstood, apologies.

Edit: The other site was artaphot.ch

Edit 2: Maybe you were talking about the 50 f1.8 which had the rubber ring and AE as you mentioned?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNJ wrote:

Edit 2: Maybe you were talking about the 50 f1.8 which had the rubber ring and AE as you mentioned?

Well, sorry if my talk had been misleading. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 52/1.8 Little Alex used in his introduction posting, it is the earliest of the (here in this thread mentioned) three standard 1.8ish Hexanon AR mount lenses.

I have a 52/1.8 sitting on the Autoreflex T inherited from my father, and it is a decent enough lens I used a lot in the 80s.

The 50mm f1.7 was meant to be the successor of the 52mm lens, and is widely agreed upon to be in the top echelon of best lenses ever designed and built. I have two 50/1.7, one that came with the Autoreflex TC and one that I obtained recently. They leave nothing to desire in terms of image quality.

Last, the 50mm f1.8 was superceding the 50/1.7. It was a budget lens, light and small, still alright in image quality, but certainly not playing in the same league as the 50/1.7.