Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura M42 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you PBFACTS for the clarification.

piticu the spelling of the name Koki, Kohki or whatever seems to vary because of varying transcriptions from japanese, yet another version on camerapedia: http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Sanky%C5%8D_K%C5%8Dki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Kohki" is Hepborn-style spelling used to be used, nowadays we drop "h".
HEPBURN (wikipedia) -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Curtis_Hepburn
This person is a relative of american actor "Katherine Hepburn".

"h" after a bowel indicates "o" to be pronounced long "o", so my name
should spell "kohji" in a colloquial sense, also should spell "kouji" in
japanese older writing way.

So "kouki" is closer to slow pronounciation, "kohki" is typical way we
occasionally spell. "koki" is a bit confusional, since it has different meanings.
This is the main reason we still spell "kohki" instead of modern "koki".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuuan and Koji, thank you very much for your explanations. What i was trying to ask PBFACTS is if he/she saw on the lens' rim that transliteration cause on mine says Kohki. I was just curious Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I can buya Komura 300/5. Does anybody know this lens? I'm not sure, if it is good choice...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Komura 5/300, both are very soft wide open, maybe the worst 300mm's I have. I got the other only to get the M39-M42 mount for my other "Visoflex" style Komuras.

The 300mm is the poorest of the Komura tele line I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I'll probably let it go. So any other recommendation in 300mm? But please resonable price. I'm not Rotchild Cool
M42, but not only...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many better 300mm

Some cheap ones -

Tokina automatic 5.5/300 sold as Soligor, Vivitar, Lentar, Hanimex, etc. Heavy but usually very good.

Tokina preset 5.5/300 sold as many different brands. Long minimum focus though.

Tamron Adaptamatic 5.6/300

Tamron preset 5.6/300 - Sold as Aetna Rokunar, Coligon, Soligor, etc. also.

Asahi Takumar 6.3/300 (maybe US $80+, so not that cheap)

There are also several made by Cosina and sold under many brands, including a Cosina-made 60-300 zoom that is very good.

All are probably much better than this Komura.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
So my max is 100 euros. I think it is enough for some decent lens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Komura 105mm f/2.5. Regarding the spelling, it reads “Sankyo Kohki” on the lens itself, so I guess that's the “official” transliteration. It's a funny lens; very thin, long, completely unusual filter thread sizes (two of them; the original hood mounts with a step-up ring), plenty of aperture blades.

In practice I find that it's somewhat soft wide open, but with a relatively pleasant soft glow. Bokeh can be very smooth, especially wide open, but it's somewhat swirly.

A couple of bokeh samples (wide open or thereabouts):

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a very nice lens to me. I had two of them 135mm f.5 and 200mm f4 none of them was sharpness or bokeh champion , but their color was better than most of my lenses. Congrats for this rare and nice piece!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relayer wrote:
nice, thank you. can you compare performance of this lens with Nikkor/Rokkor/Spiratone/Tamron 2.5/105 ? its very interesting for me, because I love and collect 100mm lenses :)

The only other ~100mm lens I have is the MC Kaleinar-5N. The Kaleinar is sharper, especially wide open (though so are most other lenses), but less “smooth”. The coatings in my Kaleinar are damaged, which is probably why both are low in contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidus, you should consider the Tair-3 4.5/300 very closely.

Some go for cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Davidus, you should consider the Tair-3 4.5/300 very closely.

Some go for cheap.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Arkku"]I have the Komura 105mm f/2.5. Regarding the spelling, it reads “Sankyo Kohki” on the lens itself, so I guess that's the “official” transliteration. It's a funny lens; very thin, long, completely unusual filter thread sizes (two of them; the original hood mounts with a step-up ring), plenty of aperture blades.

In practice I find that it's somewhat soft wide open, but with a relatively pleasant soft glow. Bokeh can be very smooth, especially wide open, but it's somewhat swirly.

Somewhat late reply, I just ordered the same 105/2.5 lens for 27 pounds.
It looks like new with leather box and all.

Not so long ago I bought a Komura 135/3.5 in Leica mount with 12 blades.
It is quiet nice, not razorsharp but great bokeh.
Here are some samples.
In nr 3 you can see the starshaped lenblades.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Komura 200mm F4.5 (Sankyo Kohki Japan) seems to be a triplet. Sharpness is nothing to really write home about but probably can be improved when shooting in good lighting. The weather is drab today so ISO 2500.

Faded gold by The lens profile, on Flickr

I sharpened this one a bit, also a slight crop

Hayfeverkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found the Komura 200mm F4.5 SLR lens to be rather a weak item in the Komura range.
Not as bad as the 300 f/5 but IMHO its just for collectors.

There is a very different Komura 200/4.5 made for Leica screw mount, with rangefinder coupling (a bit famous for being the longest rangefinder coupled lens), that is actually rather better. Its not a triplet, as far as I can tell, I only partially disassembled the optical block but it seems to have a cemented pair in there.

Anyway, its no world beater but not the same and not as bad.

http://forum.mflenses.com/komura-200-4-5-leica-screw-mount-on-mini-bellows-t11128,highlight,%2Bkomura.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a grand total of 16 aperture blades though.

16 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the RF & SLR lenses both have this many aperture blades?

Some of those old samples taken above look very good. Surprised Attila wasn't blown away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this from an Ebay post of the RF model. (Looks a bit different from the slr model, no preset aperture (or maybe a hidden one like with Meyer Optik Lenses) but same blade count. https://www.ebay.com/itm/114930232021?

Rangefinder version is much more expensive than the SLR version, but Ebay prices so who knows... Probably a different optical formula from the slr lens.