Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Vision2 500T in Fomadon LQR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Kodak Vision2 500T in Fomadon LQR Reply with quote

I have already shot several rolls of the 250D and 100T variants of this Vision2 film and got what I consider excellent results in terms of sharpness, grain and tonality. There is so little grain I was amazed and the dynamic range is massive, allowing what I consider fantastic levels of shadow and highlight detail.

As this 500T is the faster variant, I was expecting it to have more grain and perhaps some other differences. Well, I can't see them, it looks just as good in tones, grain and sharpness to me so I'm a happy bunny.

These were shot with my Pentax MV1 set to ASA 533 (closest setting it has to 500) with my Pentax-M 1.7/50.

Developed in Fomadon LQR, 1:14 dilution, 15mins at 21C. 30secs initial inversions then 1 inversion every 2.5 minutes. I chose this low level of agitation as LQR is a high contrast developer and the light for the shoot was strong with deep shadows and bright highlights, LQR can give a somewhat harsh result in such circumstances. However, I think I actually underdid the agitation as the results were lower in contrast than I like and I had to boost contrast in PP, but i didn't have to pull down the highlights or pull up the shadows after boosting the contrast which speaks volumes about the massive dynamic range of this film. Smile

These were scanned on my old Epson 3200 at 3200dpi, I think the best investment I can make in the near future is a better scanner. Wink

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this result, congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou, good light was a big help. I am hoping this film can be exposed at 800 and deliver good results in lesser light as that is more common here. I will try exposing it at 800 in lesser light soon, fingers crossed. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly grain less vs how high ISO clearly years before 35mm photography film.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This film does look very good. Isn't it a color negative cine film ?
How do you use it on a 35mm camera?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. Yes, Kodak and Fuji put their best, latest technology into these cine films. This one is Vision2 so it is the previous generation, they have Vision3 now. I read that the technology such as T-grain is deployed first to the cine films then filters down to the still films, this Vision2 apparently uses some of the same technologies as went into the latest Kodak stills films (Portra, Ektra) so Vision3 will have technologies that haven't even appeared for the stills films yet.

Hi Stefan. Again, yes, this is colour negative film for shooting in cine cameras. There is no difference between 35mm for cine and 35mm for stills, it physically the same so I just hand load cassettes from the 400ft bulk roll the cine film came in. It has an Estar (polyester) base and to me, seems a little bit thicker than 'normal' 35mm films, but this isn't an issue and it dried flat as a pancake. It also has a black remjet backing but that comes off during the developing stage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very good, and you can develop it b/w chemicals.
Cool - I have to get one of those 400 rolls too Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have only used Fomadon LQR with it but that was because I had lots of it. I am sure it will work same with other BW chemicals. I ran out of LQR so next roll I will use Paterson FX-39 or D-76.

There are lots of 400, 1000 and 2000ft rolls available from the US, prices vary a lot so make sure to shop around.

The Fuji alternative is Eterna, not tried that but I am sure it will be just as good.

Please share your results when you do try this film type. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotten quite adept with the Vision stocks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb results, my favs #4#10#13#14#15#19

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, good light definitely helped, we don't get much of it here, sadly.