Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Instamatic Reflex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Kodak Instamatic Reflex Reply with quote

I have been hanging on to this hoping to find a way to conveniently use 35mm film on it. Its in such great shape and has half a cartridge of 127 still unused,still in it . This camera has not seen much use. Very Happy The viewfinder is amazingly bright and clear. The camera appears built strong and solid.I have seen some DIY stuff on using 35mm in the 127cartridge-I might try something like that.

Cheers

Last edited by Kathmandu on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold one of these some years ago.

It was very well made and seemed to be a very ergonomic, pleasant to use camera.

I was rather sorry I couldn't try it out (I had already sold the lenses).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has small image circle? Why not try convert it to digital somehow?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
I have been hanging on to this hoping to find a way to conveniently use 35mm film on it. Its in such great shape and has half a cartridge of 127 still unused,still in it . This camera has not seen much use. Very Happy The viewfinder is amazingly bright and clear. The camera appears built strong and solid.I have seen some DIY stuff on using 35mm in the 127cartridge-I might try something like that.

Surely this would use 126 film cartridges (26 x 26mm negs), not 127? 127 was a paper-backed roll film.

Film transport would be a major problem using 135 film I think. For a start there's no sprocket drum as with 135 cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Surely this would use 126 film cartridges (26 x 26mm negs), not 127? 127 was a paper-backed roll film.

Film transport would be a major problem using 135 film I think. For a start there's no sprocket drum as with 135 cameras.

That big? I thought they were smaller, but then again it's something like 25 years ago.

If the cassette and spools were metal and some sort of spooling mechanism with film edge cutter that could well work. But making this equipment is expensive. Unless you find some nice mechanic with tools. But way easier than converting to digital which I first suggested.

edit: is this true:
Quote:
Adocolor 126, which was until recently available in Europe and was sometimes imported by North American resellers, was manufactured for the German Adox company by Ferrania.[5] Ferrania and Adox are currently in negotiations to transfer the relevant production moulds etc. to Adox so production can start again. Adox is hoping to release it in January 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
peterqd wrote:

That big? I thought they were smaller, but then again it's something like 25 years ago.

If the cassette and spools were metal and some sort of spooling mechanism with film edge cutter that could well work. But making this equipment is expensive. Unless you find some nice mechanic with tools. But way easier than converting to digital which I first suggested.

You're probably thinking of the later cameras that used the much smaller 110 film cartridges. Image size of these is 13 x 17mm.

Both types of cartridge were plastic. The cameras have a very simple transport system using a wheel in the top which has a lug which engages in notches in the top of the take-up spool of the cartidge, so I would say it would be impossible to convert to using 135 canister film. Besides, the back door has a window for the frame numbers! Smile

Bulk reloading of the cartridge with 135 film would be the only way I think, but the cartridges were disposable and very fragile.

Quote:
edit: is this true:
Quote:
Adocolor 126, which was until recently available in Europe and was sometimes imported by North American resellers, was manufactured for the German Adox company by Ferrania.[5] Ferrania and Adox are currently in negotiations to transfer the relevant production moulds etc. to Adox so production can start again. Adox is hoping to release it in January 2012.

I don't know, I've never had any real interest in Instamatic cameras, only that my wife owned one many years ago. They were pretty cheap and, well, not exactly Leica quality. I've read there's quite a lot of interest in 126 film though, I guess from LOMO-type fans, and that would be good news for them if it's true.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Kathmandu wrote:

Yes that would be a 126, not 127. Thanks for spotting that. I wrote earlier about DIYs that I had read about "conversions"- so it would accept 35mm. Heres one that I found-

http://www.betweenthesprockets.com/?page_id=17.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I sold one of these some years ago.

It was very well made and seemed to be a very ergonomic, pleasant to use camera.

I was rather sorry I couldn't try it out (I had already sold the lenses).

The condition of the viewfinder is one of the best I have seen-in older cameras I have . Its cock ,focus and fire. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice looking piece of equipment, i had not seen one before. i have exactly the same proclem with my rollei sl126--its solid metal, rangefinder, 3 superb hft lenses, and no place to go because i cant figure out how to modify it to takd straight 35mm film...a real pity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm .. if one could attach a paper back to 135 film and get some spools and sort of film plate / guide, one could (theoretically) use it as a roll film camera. At least if one would load and reload it in the darkroom. Then again you must develop the films youself anyways.

Something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/828_film
http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=spool828

One thing about the later link, I don't understand.
Quote:
The easiest way to get backing paper is to find an unused or undeveloped roll of 828 film. You can then pull the paper off, discard the film and reuse the paper.

Why couldn't I just use the film first and then take the paper. Smile

Or just take a 120 film roll, cut it half and spool it somehow?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of old, unopened 126 film from the 80s if anybody needs cartridges. I shot one when I first got it, and the film was more or less useless. You might get an image over-exposing by about 4 or 5 stops Shocked

Edit: Also the Retina Reflexes are not hard to find, and you could easily snatch a working one for about $50-$60 off of ebay. Then you wouldn't have to bother with 126.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I have a bunch of old, unopened 126 film from the 80s if anybody needs cartridges. I shot one when I first got it, and the film was more or less useless. You might get an image over-exposing by about 4 or 5 stops Shocked

Edit: Also the Retina Reflexes are not hard to find, and you could easily snatch a working one for about $50-$60 off of ebay. Then you wouldn't have to bother with 126.

True, but then you wouldn't see the sprockets on your image- Confused . I'd love it if you could send me one cartridge . Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 35mm Retina Reflexes aren't working, and the ones that are guaranteed to be working may not work for long.
These are very trouble-prone cameras.

The Instamatic seems mechanically to be the best of the Retina Reflex line, less internally complex I understand. The meter is also more likely to be working, not being selenium. Though on many cameras with selenium meters these can often be quite simply fixed (just clean the contacts), on the Retina Reflex any such attempt would be frightening.

It would be a fantastic platform for the excellent Retina Reflex lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

True, but then you wouldn't see the sprockets on your image- Confused . I'd love it if you could send me one cartridge . Smile

I'll dig around for them and see if I can find them again. I know I had a few.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Kathmandu wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

I'll dig around for them and see if I can find them again. I know I had a few.

Thanks for the offer.If you have not started your digging-pls dont bother. I found one here locally Very Happy .

luisalegria wrote:
Most 35mm Retina Reflexes aren't working, and the ones that are guaranteed to be working may not work for long.
These are very trouble-prone cameras.

The Instamatic seems mechanically to be the best of the Retina Reflex line, less internally complex I understand. The meter is also more likely to be working, not being selenium. Though on many cameras with selenium meters these can often be quite simply fixed (just clean the contacts), on the Retina Reflex any such attempt would be frightening.

It would be a fantastic platform for the excellent Retina Reflex lenses.

Thats exactly what I was thinking-I have a few Retina DKL lenses in my possession for it would be the perfect base-plus I can look into getting the sprocket effect say with a Xenon 50mm f1.9. Very Happy Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhM7McQOpc