Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Knowledge of Taylor Hobson Projection Lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Knowledge of Taylor Hobson Projection Lenses? Reply with quote

I have acquired some TH lenses at good price.

I have heard about the silver ones having short BFL, but what about the painted brass ones?

Anyway if I am unlucky I was thinking about a relay lens to increase BFL. A 10mm achromat should increase BFL by 40mm without image deterioration but with Tstop penalty and upside down image.

Has anyone tried a relay lens solution?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Knowledge of Taylor Hobson Projection Lenses? Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
I have heard about the silver ones having short BFL, but what about the painted brass ones?

Anyway if I am unlucky I was thinking about a relay lens to increase BFL. A 10mm achromat should increase BFL by 40mm without image deterioration but with Tstop penalty and upside down image.

Has anyone tried a relay lens solution?

I have not tried relay lenses with projection lenses up to now. I experiment with relay lenses with CCTV / Cine taking lenses or to use the Zenitar 16mm fisheye as fisheye on a crop camera.

I work at the moment a lot with Shapley lenses / focal reducters with positive focal lengths - but those shorthen BFL. The other way round would be with teleconverters to get more BFL works with negative focal lengths, a diverging lens.

Cine projection lenses for 35mm film have sometimes long BFL - but not all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to increase the focal length and register distance of a projector lens (Angénieux 50mm f/1.2) using diopters (-2 glasses lens) mounted in front of the lens and it works but the resolution decreases a little and the CA is more pronounced.
I was not satisfied with the result and I gave up.
Probably with negative achromats it works a little better but they are hard to find and expensive. Surplus Shed probably still has some cheaper ones.

ZoneV wrote:
I work at the moment a lot with Shapley lenses / focal reducters with positive focal lengths - but those shorthen BFL.

On the other hand, using positive achromats as focal reducers works quite well in some circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
On the other hand, using positive achromats as focal reducers works quite well in some circumstances.

I suppose for not to extreme reduction factor or low speed systems achromats work well. At the moment I try to get a reasonable good high speed medium tele ~ 135/1.4. There I need better optical elements. Have a way, but this would work much better with short register samera like the Sony 7.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These lenses are old, so may have a decent BFL. When they arrive I will know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay_lens

Placing an achromat at 2 x focal length just relays the image without much effect on quality, but light loss.

Bad news is a new relay lens 4/15mm costs about $250 Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses arrived today and the gods have smiled on me. It seems both can be adapted to NEX etc.

On the 3 inch F1.6 the BFL is 30+mm

It seems they are of Petzval type design see Patent GB376025