Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 70-210 adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Kiron 70-210 adapter Reply with quote

I have a Kiron 70-210 and need adapter for Sony a300. Anyone have a suggestion or direction to turn.Would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome douglaw1!

The adapter needed depends on what mount is the Kiron lens? Here's hoping the mount is for a camera with register (distance from front of camera lens mount to film/sensor) larger enough than A300 register to fit an adapter, otherwise infinity focus will be unobtainable because the adapter will act same as extension tube.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: KIRON 70-210 Reply with quote

The Kiron 70-210 that I have came off a Minolta X370. It accepts MD/MC lenses. I read that the Sonya300 retained the Minolta A mount system. Do I need an adapter from MD/MC to A mount. Totally confused obviously. Any help would still be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but this is a MD mount lens, unfortunately, register is 1mm less, meaning for infinity focus, adapter would hold lens inside camera throat -- there is not enough wiggle room for such an adapter.

There are Minolta MD lens to Sony A300 camera adapters on ebaY of two types.

Without glass element(s) type acts as short extension tube, no infinity, but okay for close-up.

Other type has glass element(s) like teleconverter, lengthening focal length a little, reducing f/#, and degrading IQ, as with any teleconverter, but lens can focus to infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the first part of your answer, I can't get an adapter for this lens to fit an a300. Then you indicate that I have two possibilities for adapters on ebay. I'm still not sure if I can or can't get one to fit a Kiron MD mount to a Sony a300. Sorry for being thick headed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug. Yes, you can mount the lens on the a300 with a MD>A adapter. There are two types. A plain adapter will physically mount the lens on the camera OK, but you will only be able to focus on close subjects Click here to see on Ebay.

If you want infinity focus you'll need to use the other type with an internal lens Click here to see on Ebay. This will slow the lens down by up to 1 stop, the focal length will appear slightly longer and the IQ is often degraded, depending on the quality.

Of course with any adapter you will need to manually stop-down the lens for metering and shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you peterqd and visualopsins for taking the time to help. Doug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

douglaw1 wrote:
Thank you peterqd and visualopsins for taking the time to help. Doug

Doug, let me add that if I had an Alpha-mount camera, Minolta MD lenses wouldn't really be on my mind. Same goes for Canon FD lenses. The only digital camera that can use MD and FD lenses direct, without a glass adapter, are the Sony E-mount (NEX) and micro 4/3 (Panasonic, Olympus).

The best bet for your camera will be M42 lenses, and with the M42 adapter and an M42 Tamron AD2 mount you'll be able to use any Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you again