Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kaleinar 5H 100mm f/2.8 on a Canon 40D body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Kaleinar 5H 100mm f/2.8 on a Canon 40D body Reply with quote

I've picked up a Kaleinar 5H 100mm f/2.8 from a friend and would love to be able to use it on my 40D....from everything I have read (on these forums and elsewhere) it's a great lens.

How much would an adapter generally set you back for one of these babies? As far as I know it's a Nikon mount....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Would like to know Canon EOS-Nikon adapter price ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the lens - it is a lot better than it's price usually indicates

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a simple nikon to EOS adapter on ebay for under $20 shipped. Manual Nikon mount lenses work excellent on Canon bodies like the 40D.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Kaleinar 5H 100mm f/2.8 on a Canon 40D body Reply with quote

Rickboy wrote:
As far as I know it's a Nikon mount....

Note that this lens is also available in M42 mount, although the Nikon is far more common. But to be safe, check that the mount has a bayonet with which it attaches to the camera (similar in appearance to your modern Canon lenses). If it does, it's Nikon, but if it has a screw thread instead, it's M42.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kaleinar 5H 100mm f/2.8 on a Canon 40D body Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Rickboy wrote:
As far as I know it's a Nikon mount....

Note that this lens is also available in M42 mount, although the Nikon is far more common. But to be safe, check that the mount has a bayonet with which it attaches to the camera (similar in appearance to your modern Canon lenses). If it does, it's Nikon, but if it has a screw thread instead, it's M42.

Thanks for confirming that...definitely the bayonet mount.

Thanks for all of the replies...off to Ebay, will post results when I start shooting!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kaleinar 5H 100mm f/2.8 on a Canon 40D body Reply with quote

Rickboy wrote:
? As far as I know it's a Nikon mount....

Yes. There was a Ukrainian film camera, the Kiev-19, which copied the Nikon AI mount. Several lenses from Kiev Arsenal used this mount, so now they work on Nikon DSLR (or Canon, etc with adapters). Which is why the name of the lens ends in N, for Nikon. (A Cyrillic N looks like a Latin H).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kaleinar 5H 100mm f/2.8 on a Canon 40D body Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Note that this lens is also available in M42 mount, although the Nikon is far more common.

Originally, it was sold as a Nikon lens with an M42 replacement adapter included in the box. The interesting thing is that, while the Nikon part was made of metal and featured Nikon aperture stop-down lever, the M42 adapter was made of black plastic (!) and did not even have the aperture stop-down pin. So you are probably better off getting one with Nikon mount.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know is this original factory made or not but it is not a plastic at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Kaleinar 5H 100mm f/2.8 on a Canon 40D body Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Arkku wrote:
Note that this lens is also available in M42 mount, although the Nikon is far more common.

Originally, it was sold as a Nikon lens with an M42 replacement adapter included in the box. The interesting thing is that, while the Nikon part was made of metal and featured Nikon aperture stop-down lever, the M42 adapter was made of black plastic (!) and did not even have the aperture stop-down pin. So you are probably better off getting one with Nikon mount.

My ТЕЛЕАР-Н (Telear-n) 200mm f/3.5 was like that. Nikon mount, in metal, but the M42 adapter was made of brittle plastic and in fact was broken during shipment.