Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kalee Bloomed 5 inch projector lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing very well with that.

I particularly like the B&W portraits, thats exactly the result I want to
get from a large format "pictorialist" lens, sharp but narrow DOF, excellent in-focus-out of focus transition and excellent bokeh.

You should try to get a bit longer "infinity", if you can get head&shoulders you would have a killer portrait lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis, thanks for the kind words.

Those characteristics are also what I wanted in a 'perfect' portrait lens.

I need to make another aperture disk, this one has far too large a star shape.

I can shorten the tube I have this mounted on the EOS with by 5-8mm, I'll do that tomorrow, just a quick hacksaw job. That might lengthen the max focus another foot or two and allow the whole head to be in frame.

What would be interesting is to mount this lens for use on my Bronica ETRS. I bet 6x4.5cm shots with this lens and some Kodak Portra could produce some very nice images. No idea what the image circle of this lens is but I am sure it will cover 6x4.5 easily. Some vignetting might actually be nice for portrait use. I will have to measure the image circle somehow and find out how big it is.

No idea how I could mount this lens on the ETRS though due to the lens in shutter design.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya subfan, many thanks for that info!

Sounds like my lens is similar to yours. It's been very dull and raining all day here today so I haven't shot any more with it, instead I did some metalwork on the tube to see how close I can get the lens to the sensor.

4x5 hmm, that sounds very intereszting to me, what camera do you have?

Do you have any samples of your 4x5 shots with the Kalees? I'm very interested to see some proper portrait work.

When you see how much original brass Petzval lenses cost now, projector lenses are definitely an interesting alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shortened the tube this lens is mounted in as much as I can and it still won't hit infinity, but it will now focus on objects far enough away to take some interesting portraits.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn ! Now you have a lens !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Luis and thanks for your sage advice, always appreciated.

Focussing is still incredibly hit and miss, you just have to shoot a load of pics and choose the best, with such a shallow dof this is to be expected I think unless you have a camera with live view.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, all projector lenses are not that useful, I have some that are not much good but I also have two or three I dearly love.

I like that 4x5 shot, if you look at it for a while your eye s really drawn into it.