Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought bellows - Lens additions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Just bought bellows - Lens additions? Reply with quote

I just bought some simple bellows in Nikon mount (the rear) that come with a spiratone 75mm flat field macro. This lense should give me at least 2:1 or 4:1 magnification. What other options do I have for the end of these bellows? Is there anyway to convert them (they are a simple two rail design, no shift/tilt) to have tilt / shift features? Would a medium or large format lens be a good candidate to slap on the end?

Im looking for maximum magnification and macro ability here, or something with really good working distance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought bellows - Lens additions? Reply with quote

kawasakiguy37 wrote:
I just bought some simple bellows in Nikon mount (the rear) that come with a spiratone 75mm flat field macro. This lense should give me at least 2:1 or 4:1 magnification. What other options do I have for the end of these bellows? Is there anyway to convert them (they are a simple two rail design, no shift/tilt) to have tilt / shift features? Would a medium or large format lens be a good candidate to slap on the end?

Im looking for maximum magnification and macro ability here, or something with really good working distance.

I use an M42 Bellows sometimes. Depending on the FL of the lens, yes Medium Format lenses work well, enlarger lenses work well, large format lenses work well.
The ones that fit on mine are 250mm or less due to bellows length (40D).

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe my bellows go out to about 150mm. Does the focal length of the lense affect the magnification at a given extension?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Bellowing, part I Reply with quote

kawasakiguy37 wrote:
I believe my bellows go out to about 150mm. Does the focal length of the lense affect the magnification at a given extension?

Yes. The formula: Magnification = Extension / Focal Length. With the bellows fully out at 150mm of extension, here are the magnifications you'd get with various lenses:

50mm --- 3:1
75mm --- 2:1
100mm - 1.5:1
150mm - 1:1
225mm - 1:1.5
300mm - 1:2

For more magnification, use shorter lenses. For greater working distance, use longer lenses.

(The above formula uses TOTAL extension. So for 1:1 with a 50mm lens, we assume 50mm of tubes, and the lens itself at infinity focus. Focusing the lens out boosts the magnification just slightly.)

Quote:
What other options do I have for the end of these bellows? Is there anyway to convert them (they are a simple two rail design, no shift/tilt) to have tilt / shift features? Would a medium or large format lens be a good candidate to slap on the end?

I've considered building a T/S mechanism. It wouldn't be practical for macro work; it *would* be feasible if mounting a large format (LF) lens for general shooting. But remember, even for infinity focus, a long-lens element needs lots of extension; and short-lens LF glass is costly.

I have M42 and Pentax-mount bellows, both extending to about 150mm. To use a 162mm Wollensak enlarging lens (EL), I need tubes also -- a minimum of 20mm for infinity focus, and an entire 160mm+ to reach 1:1. Even my Ilex 140mm EL pushes the limit, needing tubes on both sides of the bellows. And those lenses weigh 300g and 260g respectively, rather a bit of weight to be hanging at the end of 300mm+ of hardware.

In the next post I'll suggest other ways to use a bellows.

Last edited by RioRico on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the best value is definitely in the enlarging lenses. Really fine qulaity can be obtained for well under $100 - look for el-nikkor, Schneider componon - S and rodenstock rodagon. They come typically from 50 - 150mm. I have a couple of active threads with samples from a few of these lenses

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it doesnt matter how close the lense I mount on the bellows can focus? (as in it wont matter if I stick a macro or normal lens?)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Bellowing, part II Reply with quote

Enlarger lenses (EL's) are great for tube/bellows macro work -- cheap, light, cheap, sharp, cheap. Did I mention that they're cheap? But they're also limited by the amount of extension you're comfortable with. I use various EL glass in the 50-75-90-110-140mm range, all quality stuff that mostly cost less than US$15 each. But like I said, that Ilex 140 pushes the limit.

You can also use standard lenses on bellows. An M42 135mm Takumar on the bellows easily reaches 1:1 without additional tubes. Essentially, the lens body IS the supplemental tube. Back in the day, with my 35mm half-frame Olympus Pen-FT SLR, I'd mount a 400mm tele on bellows and tubes, supported by a shoulder stock, to shoot closeups of rattlesnakes in the wild from a safe distance. Any tele on extensions gives plenty of working range.

Some lenses work fine mounted directly; others perform better when reversed. A cheap mount-reversal ring lets you use lenses FROM ANY MAKER. But your working range is small, approaching a lens' register distance. For most SLR lenses, that's close to 50mm. Long-tube type teles don't reverse well, as they have no optics at their base. Large- and medium-format lenses tend to be heavy, but they would have greater working range when reversed. I haven't tried that yet. Hmmm, maybe if I pulled the 120mm Zeiss lens and shutter from that old Ikonta 6x9 folder...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I also haven't tried high-magnification stacked lenses mounted onto extensions. And I really haven't done much with high magnifications. The problem: light, or lack thereof. Light loss is given by the formula: Effective Aperture = Nominal Aperture * (Magnification + 1)

So any lens at 1:1 with its aperture ring set to a nominal value of f/8, will have an effective aperture of 8 * (1+1) = f/16. At 2:1, it's (8 * (2+1) = f/24. If I reached 7:1, it's f/64 -- hey, we're in Ansel Adams territory! Light-wise, anyway. That's six full f-stops down from f/8. Drop the shutter speed from 1/125 to 1/2 second, eh?

Needless to say, focus and illumination are difficult at great magnification, especially with bellows and tubes. High magnification is usually achieved by stacking lenses, reversing a secondary onto a primary with a cheap thread-reversal ring. Magnification is the ratio of primary to secondary; a 35mm secondary reverse-stacked onto a 105mm primary gives 105/35 = 3:1, with a 4 f-stop loss of light. Mounting a stacked pair on bellows should make focusing a bit easier, however.

Search around, and you'll find lots of material about bellows work. Have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawasakiguy37 wrote:
So it doesnt matter how close the lense I mount on the bellows can focus? (as in it wont matter if I stick a macro or normal lens?)

No, it doesn't matter. You control the focus by varying the bellows' extension. With a macro lens mounted directly on a camera, twisting the lens body increases the extension. With a 'normal' or enlarger lens on bellows, you focus with the bellows. With any lens, the further you move the objective from the film/sensor plane, the closer the focus, and the greater the magnification and light loss.

Macro lens; 'normal' lens; enlarger lens; stacked lenses; any and all can be mounted on the bellows, and bellows adjustments control the focus point and magnification. A 'normal' 135mm lens with a usual close-focus of 3.3m / 10 feet can focus to within an inch or so, if extended enough.

[CORRECTION: A 135mm lens CANNOT focus to within an inch. No unreversed lens can focus closer than its focal length. Sorry about that.]

(Other stuff can be put on bellows too. ANY optical materials: eyeglass and magnifying and headlight lenses, faceted crystals, thin Fresnel lenses, prisms and kaleidoscopes, etc. Results can be... interesting...)

patrickh wrote:
I find the best value is definitely in the enlarging lenses.

Agreed, they give the best value. For close work, more often on tubes than bellows, I have a favorite 'standard' lens: the venerable Industar-50/3.5, still available for ~US$25. It's not flat-field like an enlarger lens, but it's apochromatic, highly color-corrected. It's about the size of many enlarger lenses but it's already at 50mm, so less extension is needed to achieve 1:1 or more. On the 150mm bellows I can reach 4:1. Whew!

Last edited by RioRico on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I will just stick tothe spiratone 75mm for now and try some of my nikkor AI-S lenses on the bellows and see how I like them. Should give me enough combinations between working distance / magnification to get what I want

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me, I put enlarger lens, LF brass lens, LF lens and folding camera lens. There is alot to play with bellows. Have fun discovering ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to mount an old Perspective control lens? For macro work I eventually want to be able to control the plane / depth of field.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the answer would be 'yes', but remember that the bellows mount itself, even fully collapsed, will be part of the extension. It will affect how close you must be in order to focus.

I never thought about using a PC lens on my bellows, because it already has limited tilt/shift. It would be an interesting experiment, especially figuring out the best way to combine the tilt/shift of the bellows with the shift (and tilt, if it has it) of the PC lens.

Hmmm. I may have to start looking for an affordable PC lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Im just going to use these bellows for now and pickup some T/S compatible bellows later, seems to be my best option! Once I do that might as well get a LF lense too for the larger image circle!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you mount these odd lenses on the bellows? I've got a set that came with an M42 ring. I'd love to mount interesting oddball stuff on the end of it but I'm not sure how to fix it in place (I'm not very practical that way).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I find the best value is definitely in the enlarging lenses. Really fine qulaity can be obtained for well under $100 - look for el-nikkor, Schneider componon - S and rodenstock rodagon. They come typically from 50 - 150mm. I have a couple of active threads with samples from a few of these lenses

patrickh

+1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
How do you mount these odd lenses on the bellows? I've got a set that came with an M42 ring. I'd love to mount interesting oddball stuff on the end of it but I'm not sure how to fix it in place (I'm not very practical that way).

plastic glued tape and hold the lens while shooting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
PaulC wrote:

LOL, and there I was thinking of parts being machined to exact tolerances!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Attila wrote:
PaulC wrote:

LOL, and there I was thinking of parts being machined to exact tolerances!

I am one step behind Stan (Trifox) who is just keep lenses before the camera Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an APO Rodagon-D enlarging lens that works extremely well on bellows. It's either 70mm of 75mm, I can never remember which.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
PaulC wrote:
How do you mount these odd lenses on the bellows?

That's one way. I have a Pentax K20D and use both PK-mount and M42 bellows and cheap extra macro tubes; the PK tubes have an inner diameter of 57mm. Sometimes I jam a lens into one of the tube sections, tape it in place, and use that as the lens mount. Some odd-shaped stuff (eyeglass lenses, etc) need a cardboard+tape mask put around them in the tube section. Some lenses with fairly standard threads can be set onto mount-reversal rings, possibly with step-up or step-down adapter rings. A plastic Fresnel lens can just be cut to fit in a filter ring with a mount-reverse ring; odd plastic eyeglass lenses can be cut into circles also.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawasakiguy37 wrote:
Would it be possible to mount an old Perspective control lens? For macro work I eventually want to be able to control the plane / depth of field.

Old Nikkor PC-lenses only offer shift, no tilt. So no control depth of field. I'd say perspective control is of little use in macro applications.

An enlarger or LF lens on T/S bellows is another story of course, because you could have infinity focus, but only with longer focal lengths (>80mm probably).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use enlarging lenses and find they are very sharp and very easy to get and very inexpensive.

I look for lenses that have a M39 mount and six elements. As previously mentioned a few of the big names for quality enlarging lenses are Nikon, Schneider and Fuji. Note, that they lens companies also have less expensive 4 element lenses. Below is a listing of lenses that I have used and enjoy.

https://sites.google.com/site/inexpensivemacrophotography/6-enlarging-lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kawasakiguy -- Couple of q's / comments:

First off, have you tried out that Spiratone lens yet? Chances are it's pretty nice, and may be all you need for now. How about your other AIs lenses?

About perspective-control bellows, I know of only two: the Nikon PB-4 and the Spiratone Bellows Master, which apparently was made by Hama:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4068953692/

There may be others, but of the above two the Spiratone is far more useful for true Scheimphflug movements. The Nikon PB-4 usually goes for a pretty good chunk of change on eBay, and the Spiratone Bellows Master, when it appears on eBay, which isn't very often, also goes for a lot of $$$.

Also, as you probably know you can get great magnification by just reversing wide angle lenses. Imagine what it would be like with a reversed lens mounted to a set of bellows.

Finally, I have found that a very handy accessory to have when doing high-magnification photography is a macro focusing stage that allows both forward-rear and side-to-side adjustments. Some bellows allow forward-rear adjustments of both the camera and lens end after mounting to a tripod, but I don't know of any that allow side-to-side. And trying to reposition your tripod at very high magnifications can be a real PITA. So this is an accessory you might want to consider. I bought one of these over three weeks ago, and it still hasn't arrived yet. Must be on the slow boat from China.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That focusing stage looks real nice, I wonder how it would work for video?

Tell me what you think when it arrives, it looks really useful