Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought another camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Just bought another camera Reply with quote

Chinon CE-3 Memotron. Spotted in a camera shop whilst out shooting today. I've bidded on a few on ebay without success.

It came attached to a Vivitar 28-200mm lens which I don't really want. I'm not sure I'll keep but may be ok to throw in the bag as a spare lens. And a power winder.

It has manual and aperture priority settings. Looks in good nick and comes with 6 months warranty. The light seals are not so great so I will fit a set tonight and put a roll of film through it tomorrow (weather permitting!!).

I now have to start getting rid of some M42 bodies as they're mounting up!

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I look forward your samples taken with this camera!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous!

I have always loved the Chinon cameras, and specifically the
CE Memotron series. A beautiful piece of work. And the power
winder included! In fact, my only 35SLR camera is a Chinon
clone, the Revueflex 3003.

Can't wait to see some pix!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I was put onto them by Jon Goodman (camera seals seller), as he said that it was his favourite M42 mount camera. I can see why. Great handling camera and good viewfinder. I guess the power winder & semi auto modes were something special in the late 70s.

I fitted new light seals to it last night and the old ones took forever to come out. Just about the worst ones I've come across.

I'm taking it out today with a roll of Kodak Gold 200 (I bought them a few months ago before I was educated into good/bad films). It's just typical that the weather is not as good this week. Still I don't need to be fussy to just test my seals and its function.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, that is what I am looking for, too. Good shape.

Last edited by djmike on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you see one grab it!

I took it out today but have not shot half a roll with it yet so will be another day or two for results, but already I can see this is going to get a fair bit of use. It's great ergonomically and is a real joy to use. The light meter agrees with my pal's Nikon D3 which was my main concern. My 24mm Ensinor saw most time on the body which is pretty wide.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I was put onto them by Jon Goodman (camera seals seller), as he said that it was his favourite M42 mount camera. I can see why.

Very nice camera! I have the GAF L-ES (actually, a few of them) which, I believe, is a rebadged CE-3 Memotron. It's my favorite M42 body. No power winder, though. I'm sure you'll be giving yours a good workout...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god you bought another camera. I was becoming really worried that you didn't have enough Rolling Eyes

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Thank god you bought another camera. I was becoming really worried that you didn't have enough Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I've only got 8 M42 bodies!

The 1st roll is being scanned by a lab as I type. I'll pick up the CD tomorrow and post some highlights.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the lab scans look REALLY noisy. I had a couple of films developed, one from another camera which was equally bad. Last time I go there.

These are just the low res files which don't show too much noise. I'll run the bigger files through noise ninja and see if I can clean them up. No editing at all on the pics. These are straight from the lab.

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A highly underated brand because of the Dixons connection in the UK,my first ever SLR was a CE4s and I loved that camera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on this nice camera Martin. I'm enjoying mine a lot too. Soon after I got it last year the shutter began firing by itself when the film was wound on. It happened mostly when using the winder, so I don't have a lot of faith in it now. I lubricated the movement under the bottom plate and it seems OK, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. Your light meter/shutter speed seems to be working very well - I was really pleased with mine too:
http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-ce-3-with-mir-24m-on-test-t8311,highlight,memotron.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6 months warranty with it which is good. I just hope I still use my Spotmatics.

I know what you mean about lenses being wider. 24mm is fantastic.

Fingers crossed that yours is fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have a 6 months warranty with it which is good. I just hope I still use my Spotmatics.

A warranty! Fantastic, although I hope you don't need it. I use different film in each of my cameras - it certainly helps to make sure I use them all.

Quote:

Smile The 400D viewfinder feels like I'm looking down a long dark tunnel now after using film cams again.

Quote:
Fingers crossed that yours is fixed.

Thanks. The cam seems OK again now (touch wood), but I don't use the winder any more. The extra bulk and weight puts me off it, but also it seems very powerful and treats the camera too roughly for my liking.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the winder attached and loaded with batteries, but haven't used it. I don't like storing cameras with the shutter cocked.

Are you doing your own processing still?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I keep the winder attached and loaded with batteries, but haven't used it. I don't like storing cameras with the shutter cocked.

Nor me. You have to switch off the winder before you take the last shot (or waste a frame if you forgot, like I always did Wink). The winder will wind on when you switch it back on.

Quote:
Are you doing your own processing still?

Yes, still only B&W but my "darkroom" is being redecorated right now so I haven't done any lately. I've been trying out a couple of rolls of Kodak BW400CN (C41 process). I've now got four 135 films finished and I'm waiting to finish a 120 roll of Provia before I send them all off to Peak.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to see the results from PI when you get them developed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great camera and a nice find... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Mmm, wait until you get a 20mm - or even 17mm Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Mmm, wait until you get a 20mm - or even 17mm Smile

I'm waiting for a Flek in my price range. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera, sold in Holland as Revueflex in the eighties. Far beyond budget then. Bought a Zenit E with Industar 3.5/50 instead.

Cliff