Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Jupiter-9 Reply with quote

After reading what Orio and others had to say about this lense I'm thinking about getting one.

I saw one M39 aluminum that was a handsome lense in mint condition. How much difference is there between a black M42 and the aluminum M39. I don't want any problems with the 5DMII. I'm guessing I should stick with the later M42.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, you have to get an M39>M42 adapter for the lens to use with the
5D MKII. You have an M42>EOS chipped adapter? If it were me I'd
go for the M42 lens, less parts to deal with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds right to me Bill. Thats kind of what I thought but wasn't sure.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The register distance of 39mm SLR (Zenit 3M) is a bit shorter than the M42. For Mir 37mm and Industar 50mm it means that infinity focus cannot fully be reached. For Jupiter 11 (135mm/4.0) the difference is not important. I have no experience with the Jupier 9; it might be that you cannot focus infinity with large apertures. So it depends on the use of the lens if it might be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer: Don't forget, that you need the fat (SLR) version. Slim version is for rangefinders.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, you will be happy with the J-9, sure.

Congratulations, the J9 has a controverted IQ. For ones, a great lens; for others, bad. I'm among the first.

Good luck.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan, No-X and Rino thanks for the info. It seems the fat, black M42 would be the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
The register distance of 39mm SLR (Zenit 3M) is a bit shorter than the M42. For Mir 37mm and Industar 50mm it means that infinity focus cannot fully be reached. For Jupiter 11 (135mm/4.0) the difference is not important. I have no experience with the Jupier 9; it might be that you cannot focus infinity with large apertures. So it depends on the use of the lens if it might be an issue.

First, there are two versions of J-9 in M39 mount: the SLR version, and the longer Leica screwmount (rangefinder) version. The former will fit onto the 5D with a M39-M42 ring and a M42-EOS adaptor; the latter will also mount, but will only provide focusing at macro distances.

Here's the rangefinder version:

And this one is for SLRs:

Regarding to shorter register distance of M39 SLR lenses compared to M42 ones, I have a thinner-than-normal M42-EOS adaptor to correct for that behavior (actually, it's just a cheap 'white' Chinese one that's not made up to proper specs, but it works to my advantage here Smile ) With that adaptor, I can focus my M39 Jupiter-9 to infinity and even slightly beyond infinity Smile