Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 4/200 21A Gang Gang Cockatoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Jupiter 4/200 21A Gang Gang Cockatoo Reply with quote

Took this image this afternoon,these birds are very shy and don't leave you much time to get the camera and take their photo. They come down from the mountains to feed,I only know they are there because they have a distinctive squark.

This has been sharpened slightly because I did not have time to steady myself as they fly away so quickly when the see you. Sad It has also been cropped down to fit the bird into most of the frame....I usually crop closer but I wanted to keep some of the background.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gang Gangs - we don't see them this far north. Lovely birds - a female?
And is that a lilly-pilly it is perched in?
Thanks Moira - brought back some welcome memories
OH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only assume it's a female because of the boring colors.You have solved a mystery for me,I have been wondering what this tree is for the last 2 years and now I know, it is indeed a lilli pilly...crazy name for a tree but there you go! It is an amazing tree very dense and is great for shade in the summer .
I found out the Gang Gangs also love Hawthorn berries and we have one growing on the boundry line...but as I mentioned above the Gang Gangs are shy and disappear just as I arrive with the camera.

I love being able to tell the seasons by what birds we have in the garden,the satin bower birds have returned as well back in time for Winter. For the first time ever I have noticed the flying foxes love this tree as well...woke up at the crack of dawn one morning and heard a weird thumping noise,went outside and the bats were flying around this tree....coming back from the orchards up the "hill".. Wink I don't want these hanging around as the disease they could be carrying has no cure. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the Batlow Bats - nasty critters. We have millions of them up here all along the coast well up into Qld. They would be a sight at sunset as they followed the creek out to sea before taking a bearing and heading off to the orchards or the flowering gums to feed for the night.
Luckily we have had no hendra virus around here as yet.
Lilly-pilly fruit can also be used for jam, a bit like rosellas.
OH