Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-3 50/1.5 at f/1.5 on Nikon 1 V1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-3 50/1.5 at f/1.5 on Nikon 1 V1 Reply with quote

A Jupiter-3 isn't so very sharp even on an FF let alone on a Nikon 1 V1, which has a pixel density corresponding roughly to 73 Mpixels on an FF dSLR. However, it does surprisingly well as a people lens at 50/1.5 with a FOV and DOF corresponding to 135/4 on an FF but at an exposure value of f/1.5, which often more than compensates for the difference in DR. Compared to, e.g., an EOS5D Mk.1 with a small 135 mm lens like the CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5, a Nikon 1 V1 with a Jupiter-3 is much smaller an much less intimidating in addition to being completely silent when using the electronic shutter - people just pay very little attention when you are taking photos.

Here is a size comparison between the two systems, note that my 5D has been gathering dust Smile :

[/img]

A few shots I took in July at the Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival:

I took these shots in Movie Mode, which made exposure adjustment very easy.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all indeed, rarelly seen here Nikon mirrorless shoots, look forward more Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Not bad at all indeed, rarelly seen here Nikon mirrorless shoots, look forward more Smile

I'm testing various lenses with the V1 and will be posting example shots when I'm done.
Meanwhile, here is another size comparison of the V1 showing why it, in my opinion, looks and feels like a "real" camera and not just a glorified P&S like the newer V2:

The V1 shape is very much like that of a FED-2, just remove the knobs and windows from the FED and sculpt the top a little bit. The Nikon S like skins which I added to my V1 still emphasize the similarity although the feel is smoother and softer than that of the Vulcanite covered FED.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see them together, thank you! May I will take one too, look forward your shoots.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Veijo.
Thanks a lot for showing these sample shots and cams comparisons.

Did you try the Industar-26 of the Fed-2 on the Nikon V1 ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing shots! Very well exposed (not that easy with the V1 and manual lenses!) and elegantly composed!
Really well done!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why hard to expose well ? No A mode with manual lenses ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Why hard to expose well ? No A mode with manual lenses ?

No. Just like the small Nikon-DSLR, the V1 can only be used in full manual (metering and focussing).
Veijo has found a little work-around by using the film mode and then switching back to photo mode.
But that doesn't work for longer shutter speeds than 1/100s and is of course not as comfortable as a working Av-mode.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Hello Veijo.
Thanks a lot for showing these sample shots and cams comparisons.

Hi, you're welcome Smile

Olivier wrote:
Did you try the Industar-26 of the Fed-2 on the Nikon V1 ?

Not yet, maybe one day although I think J-3 is better when stopped down to the same aperture. However, my main interest in J-3 is shooting at the full aperture.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Amazing shots! Very well exposed (not that easy with the V1 and manual lenses!) and elegantly composed!
Really well done!

Thanks Smile

Well, there was no difficulty in exposing -- I just shot in Movie Mode, not bothering to switch back and forth between modes. Anyway, 16:9 aspect photos are good for screen display and can be cropped if so desired.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Nikon, this wasn't a nice step... kinder garden style revans.... I had D50 after a few shoots I could apply and wasn't too bad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, for certain kinds of shots setting the exposure by looking at the displayed exposure is very convenient and beats all other ways, especially if you aren't afraid of a little bit of noise in the resulting photo -- you just toggle the exposure up and down until you like the display enough to take a shot. Here is an example of one kind of such photos (taken with a Summicron-R 50/2 at f/2 on V1) where the balance of the gray levels has a decisive effect:

and another one:

Veijo