Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 11 ZM39 Aperture Ring(s)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 11 ZM39 Aperture Ring(s) Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether the two ring system came later or before the single step-less ring? Production early on was at KMZ and then shifted to KOMZ. All of the KMZ labeled Jupiter 11s that I've seen have 2 rings but the earliest KOMZ have the single ring and then they adopt 2 rings. I can't seem to find any consistency. Anyone know for sure?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a preset Jupiter 11?
Haven't seen one .. i have the one with one ring in alu finish.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there are a few different body designs:
The oldest by KMZ 1959:

Note the two ring preset system and the thinner ridges of the focus ring. Very tair 11ish.

Early KOMZ:

One ring. Thicker ridges of focus ring.

Later KOMZ (I think?):

Two rings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O this is the SLR version.
I have the RF one .. much smaller.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 11 ZM39 Aperture Ring(s) Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Does anyone know whether the two ring system came later or before the single step-less ring?

There's no production timeline being mentioned on the zenit camera site, but it sounds like production was started at KMZ and KOMZ joined in later. I would assume that the one ring models preceded the two ring ones - perhaps it was a shortcut in switching production from rangefinder lenses to SLR lenses. But I'm just speculating - I didn't even know a one-ring Jupiter-11 model existed for SLRs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is of the third type.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This isn't strictly on point, I suppose, but I thought it might make sense to mention here that the oldest SLR Jupiter-11 is probably the slim version - very similar to the rangefinder version - manufactured by KMZ. Mine has a 57XXXXX serial number, the model name in Cyrillic, the red "P" symbol, and the focal length in cm. And it has a simple one-ring manual aperture mechanism.

One occasionally reads that all "slim" Jupiter-11s are RF lenses, but the slim SLR version does exist (although it doesn't seem to turn up very often).

Cheers,

Jon