Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Japanese (not UK) made Lumax 135mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Japanese (not UK) made Lumax 135mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

I always thought that Lumax is a UK brand. Do n't know why this M42 vintage Lumax is marked Made in Japan? Who cares as long as it takes good pictures!
Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if the lens is just rebranded, is it a T-mount or a L39 like the original Lumax lenses? I have a similar looking lens but without the 'zebra' stripes. The preset design looks like 1960's.

The photos are nice and sharp, but the contrast is a little flat

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1960's Sankor (Sankyo)

These were sold under lots of importers brands, Lumax seems to have been licensed by a UK importer after the British manufacturer folded.

I recall some mention of that.

I don't recall any contrast problems with these in other cases, based on results from quite a few members over the years this little lens is quite a fine performer. Lighting and contrast settings on the camera are probably responsible for variations in results.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
It looks as if the lens is just rebranded, is it a T-mount or a L39 like the original Lumax lenses? I have a similar looking lens but without the 'zebra' stripes. The preset design looks like 1960's.

The photos are nice and sharp, but the contrast is a little flat

Yes, it's a T-mount lens. I agree that the contrast is a bit flat. But the results are still quite nice! Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
1960's Sankor (Sankyo)

These were sold under lots of importers brands, Lumax seems to have been licensed by a UK importer after the British manufacturer folded.

I recall some mention of that.

I don't recall any contrast problems with these in other cases, based on results from quite a few members over the years this little lens is quite a fine performer. Lighting and contrast settings on the camera are probably responsible for variations in results.

Thanks for the advice. I will try different settings in the future to squeeze more out of it! Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images look super sharp to me.

Shocked

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these Sankor-made 135mm lenses too (the came in f2.8, f3.2, and f3.5). As to the contrast, it is only single coated, so using a good hood will help quite a bit with contrast.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
Images look super sharp to me.

Shocked

Thanks for viewing! Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacTak wrote:
I have one of these Sankor-made 135mm lenses too (the came in f2.8, f3.2, and f3.5). As to the contrast, it is only single coated, so using a good hood will help quite a bit with contrast.

I used a 3-inch hood when taking those pictures. I may need to use a longer hood next time. Smile