Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this a light leak?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Is this a light leak? Reply with quote

I'm not sure where to post this so if this is the wrong place, please feel free to move it mods.

I just got back this roll of Provia 400f and it has these orange marks. I assumed they were light leaks but I've never had a problem with this camera (Nikon FE) before. So my question is could this be anything other than a light leak? Thanks for your time, guys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Nikon has a horizontal cloth shutter, then it could be "shutter curtain bounce"......erm just thought it goes to the negative edge Confused

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
If the Nikon has a horizontal cloth shutter, then it could be "shutter curtain bounce"......erm just thought it goes to the negative edge Confused

Thanks

It's not a cloth shutter it's a metal one that travels vertically I think.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Thanks

It's not a cloth shutter it's a metal one that travels vertically I think.

Well then:- if it is at the beginning then you could have loaded the film in sunlight, if continuous then it must be a light leak especially as it's outside of the frame i.e. going to the edge. The intermittent light leaks are the worst problem but if you have the patience can gradually stick black tape over parts of the camera until the leak is found.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every frame has the orange mark in approximately the same place. The size of the mark varies though.

I'll try and tape it up.

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
Every frame has the orange mark in approximately the same place. The size of the mark varies though.

I'll try and tape it up.

Thanks for your help

Don't forget that if you haven't had this problem before it could be bad film or dev problem...the way around this would be (if you had another camera) is to take some shots with the Nikon note the number of shots then wind the film back (not back into the cassette) and load the film into another camera, select minimum aperture and fastest shutter speed, cover lens and viewfinder, then wind on fire the shutter for the frames used and add about another 4 for the "lead in"...this way you won't waste a whole roll of film again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a light leak? Reply with quote

Just my 10p's worth,

On my F80 that would look like a leak at the back hinge, two of the frames pictured look very close in time, thus the `exposure' was too short to fog very much? Check out the foam seal on the body where the hinge closes against, this is usually the first piece of foam to perish. A shutter problem would not affect off frame film and the other light seals would give a different pattern, but while you investigate the hinge area, checkout the other light seals that depend on foam rubber, the film type window can cause bother if it's seal goes awol, then there's the top and bottom door seals, these aren't a real problem with leaking light, but they do keep the interior dust tight!

If the seals turn out to be good and this is the first time it has happened, it just might be a faulty cassette, If the fault is worst at the beginning of the film, then it might have been leaking light at the cassettes mouth. Of course that could only be, if the cassette was left unwrapped in bright light.

Hope you find the fault, it can only be something simple, otherwise there'd be other symptoms too.

Yebisu wrote:
I'm not sure where to post this so if this is the wrong place, please feel free to move it mods.

I just got back this roll of Provia 400f and it has these orange marks. I assumed they were light leaks but I've never had a problem with this camera (Nikon FE) before. So my question is could this be anything other than a light leak? Thanks for your time, guys.