Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there a way to make focus/aperture rings more stiff?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Is there a way to make focus/aperture rings more stiff? Reply with quote

Anyone experience with that?
I've bought a Jupiter-8 in good condition but it's not easy to to handle as the rings (especially the aperture ring) a somewhat easy to move. Any Idea? I thought about relubing and adding some artificial candle wax.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stiffer? Maybe talk to a technician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a thicker, heavier grade grease. Just has to have the properties of any good helical grease - no separation under hot/cold conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust quantity/viscosity of focus ring grease. Usual problem is too much grease makes ring difficult to turn.

Aperture ring maybe mechanics is loose; tighten screws. Worn is more difficult; shims maybe help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to make focus/aperture rings more stiff? Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Anyone experience with that?
I've bought a Jupiter-8 in good condition but it's not easy to to handle as the rings (especially the aperture ring) a somewhat easy to move. Any Idea? I thought about relubing and adding some artificial candle wax.

Are you talking about the preset ring with the detent's? or the smooth one?
The smooth one typically moves quite easily, the other could be worn down or lose, at any rate, adding thicker grease will help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To stiffen a focus ring, use RC Model Servo grease on the helicoid. Cost for a small tube is a few coins on ebay.

Servo grease will not seperate under 200 deg C

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring doesn't have any detents
JohnBar wrote:
To stiffen a focus ring, use RC Model Servo grease on the helicoid. Cost for a small tube is a few coins on ebay.

Servo grease will not seperate under 200 deg C

Thx for the tip!