Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is my Contax G1 broken?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Is my Contax G1 broken? Reply with quote

I've bought an G1 together with Sonnar T* 90/2.8 and Biogon T* 28/2.8 for 450€ (titan metallic version) used and in in cosemetically good condition.
I'm currently shooting the first slide film with it.

But I have a little problem - I'm not sure if it's broken.
The AF hunts a little even when the focus is set manually!? And when I use the camera in single shot mode it takes sometimes about 5-10s until the shutter is released, also when the focus is set manually with the wheel.
The ultra long shutter delay makes it real pain to use the camera.

Am I doing something wrong with the cam or is it somehow broken?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's normal that the focus motor turns when you depress halfway even in Manual focus mode.

Try focusing on something and look if the camera confirms focus ( in the viewfinder you have only one arrow pointing to a distance).
If it cannot determine focus you will have 2 arrows blinking in the both edges of the meter scale and it won't take a picture in AF mode until it confirms focus.
If you put it in Manual focus mode it will show you how far your guess is from the actual focus distance.
Again if the focus cannot be obtained you will see the both arrows flashing, but it will take the shot regardless of the confirmation

I guess your problem is more pronounced with the Sonnar. G1 has focusing sensor only for vertical lines - so if you do not have verticals in the focusing spot try to turn the camera vertically, then prefocus (depress halfway the shutter relese), when you get the focus confirmation return the camera back to horizontal position and depress fully.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may read this manual http://www.cameramanuals.org/contax/contax_g1_focusing.pdf
it has very good tips for obtaining correct focus with G1.